Calling all Grizzly G1035 (1 1/2 hp shaper) owners
If anyone has this shaper in the early vintage (mine is a '91 I think), I could really use the manual if it has the motor wiring diagrams. The diagrams of the current machine aren't the same the old ones, and/or the previous owner wired it completely wrong. There is a diagram beneath the wiring cover which I assume is single phase, but I'm not sure.

Of course I find this out a couple hours after Griz tech support closes for the weekend!
(09-08-2017, 09:47 PM)cvillewood Wrote: There is a diagram beneath the wiring cover which I assume is single phase, but I'm not sure.

The motor nameplate will indicate whether it's single- or three-phase.  Also, the number of leads in the motor junction box, as a dual-voltage three-phase motor will have nine leads, whereas single-phase will have 4 if non-reversible, or 6 (or 7, with overload protection) if reversible.  Typically.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w...-ozwoCpaNQ

Try the jet one.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

1.5hp shaper is 120v or 220v single phase.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

The motor tag says 110/220, and there are 6 wires.

The cover plate wiring is different from any manual I can find so I'd like to find the corresponding manual to confirm.
(09-09-2017, 07:44 AM)cvillewood Wrote: The motor tag says 110/220, and there are 6 wires.

The cover plate wiring is different from any manual I can find so I'd like to find the corresponding manual to confirm.

unless someone frankenstiened the motor the wiring diagram in the motor is the correct one. 

I would not trust any manual from Grizz prior to 95 as they had not fully made the effort to convert the manuals to something that could be trusted
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(09-09-2017, 07:44 AM)cvillewood Wrote: The motor tag says 110/220, and there are 6 wires.

110/220V makes it an Asian motor (115/230V for a NEMA compliant motor), and 6 wires makes it reversible, probably without internal overload protection (would be provided by the motor control, instead).

(09-09-2017, 07:48 AM)JGrout Wrote: unless someone frankensteined the motor the wiring diagram in the motor is the correct one. 

What Joe said - the j-box cover on the motor is most likely the one for that motor, and therefore the connection diagram is the right one.

Are there numbers on the leads?  1 through 5, and 8?  Some other scheme?
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Numbers are 1-6. I'll wire it up per the cover plate and see what happens.
(09-09-2017, 11:15 AM)cvillewood Wrote: Numbers are 1-6. I'll wire it up per the cover plate and see what happens.

You didn't mention anything about the motor control, but the voltage of those small IEC-type controls is what it is (assuming it's the typical small plastic Grizzly magnetic control), so whichever voltage that's built for is the only one it will work on, and the motor of course has to also be configured the same.
Tom

The switch is what Grizzly calls the spindle switch - not a typical plastic box they have their table saws and jointers, etc.

On all the 110 diagrams there are four wires connecting the switch to the motor, and the 220 has three wires. The motor appears to have been wired 220 but the plug was an old school two prong.

I switched the wiring on the motor to what is shown on the cover plate and matched that with the wiring diagrams I have for the spindle switch. Forward seems to work fine but reverse the motor buzzed. I have dealt with enough motors were I know that is a bad thing so it only buzzed for a split second before I turned it off.

I'm going to wait until Monday and call Griz. Too many unknowns and I don't want to let the magic smoke out.