Project ideas for group of kids
Each class in our kid's elementary school makes an "art auction" project each year that is sold at a silent auction event they PTO hosts.

The kids help with the project...but they don't have to be the "primary" workers - just contributors.

Any ideas of a woodworking project that:
A) somebody would want to buy
B) 4th graders can each contribute a part of during class time.  They aren't going to have access to a whole shop, but if I can bring something to them...perhaps they could each cut pieces, paint parts, glue things together, etc. etc...
C) won't cost more than about $15-$25 (We made something a couple of years ago that was like $35-$40 in materials and that is about what it brought.  I told my wife if she wants me to do something like that again, I'd just give $40 not to...

(09-09-2017, 02:06 PM)JosephP Wrote: Each class in our kid's elementary school makes an "art auction" project each year that is sold at a silent auction event they PTO hosts.

The kids help with the project...but they don't have to be the "primary" workers - just contributors.

Any ideas of a woodworking project that:
A) somebody would want to buy
B) 4th graders can each contribute a part of during class time.  They aren't going to have access to a whole shop, but if I can bring something to them...perhaps they could each cut pieces, paint parts, glue things together, etc. etc...
C) won't cost more than about $15-$25 (We made something a couple of years ago that was like $35-$40 in materials and that is about what it brought.  I told my wife if she wants me to do something like that again, I'd just give $40 not to...

I did a intro project with a group of HS boys a year or so ago (boys' HS).   We did a 5 board + dowel handle tool tote.   With a little adaptation it could be a garden tote, beer tote, etc.   I had them do  all the mitering, drilling and nailing to pre-cut boards.   If you wanted to do the pre-miter and drill some pilot holes, it would be easy enough to assemble and screw together.   If you wish, have them paint it.
If you had fears of little hands and sharp tools good on you for thinking that, Every project I have made does require sanding though, so they can contribute with sanding, and depending on the project chosen paint, coloring, could be something they might get messy with, but not hurt.

Might not be your cup of tea, but I have never met a person who didn't have, and usually want more picture frames. Start at 8" x 12" and go up till 14 x 18 then you can decrease to 1" each way for a while. 12 x 16 being a big seller. Allows for a decent sized pic/painting, and a nice mat around it. Let them do that part or you'll go CrAzY... 4th graders could do a wild paint job on some BORG pine trim
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I've done bird nest boxes, and another time several parents got together and helped build push carts for (rope steering / old lawnmower wheels etc) 

Most of the parts were "prefabbed", then it was just a matter of drilling some pilot holes and driving in screws. The bird houses I think I let them take turns (supervised) with some jig saw cuts. 

This is a the trial assembly of a bird feeder that my 5 year old daughters class is "building". Well at least I'm taking in all the parts, and they can "help" me assemble it.  
Laugh

What a pre-fab bird feeder looks like.

With some older kids you can let them do a bit more themselves. 

Original idea from here.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/home-p...our-garden
Ice cream stick crafts.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1366&b...Dp2c_vEsKk

[Image: 473f9215e36dd66799df752b1cfc0144--popsic...crafts.jpg]

A glue gun would seem ideal, but it is easy for children to scald themselves with a glue gun.  Stick with Elmers White Glue.  It is supposed to be child-safe.

And there is always "slime".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU9Mj-tpZ-U
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Thanks for some good ideas All! Will pass them along and make my services available...
I taught 4-H woodworking some years back. Google 4-H woodworking projects.

You'll have to sort through them for the younger kids
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Got time to go in and "help" the kids build their bird feeder today 
Cool

Naturally with 5 year olds, it was more "pass me another screw from the box", or "help by holding that end down" etc. I also had some Youtube clips of me actually cutting down a tree, and another of my sawmill running, so the kids not actively helping could watch that on the classroom big screen. A bit of a lesson in where wood actually comes from, and how you can actually build something from it etc. 

Joseph,

I sell a set of plans for making no-miter picture frames. One simple jig allows for cutting frame parts to any size with one set up, and you can use scraps since the frames are made up of long thin strips. 

I will be happy to send you a set of plans free if you want to make them for this project.

No Miter Frame Plans

Email me at rbagnall@consultingwoodworker.com and I will send you the PDF. I don't have power but should be able to send them.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Corn hole (bean bag toss game).

While there is some assembly this is mostly about decorating the tops.

An indoor version could be greatly down sized.

All the pieces could be cut to size in advance.  Only glue and screws or nails would be required.

I don't what to do about the bean bags however.  It is a good game for kids so that after they make it they can spend hours using it.

[Image: StainTriangle-01.jpg]

[Image: College+Vault+West+Virginia+WVU+Mountain...472385.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.