Question
Anyone here subscribe to "Wood" magazine? I don't believe I've ever picked up a copy and I got a mailer, offering me three years for $24.00. Is it a monthly? Who is it geared to? Beginners? Advanced? Toolies? Projects?

Thanks!

T.Z.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(09-10-2017, 08:23 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Anyone here subscribe to "Wood" magazine?  I don't believe I've ever picked up a copy and I got a mailer, offering me three years for $24.00.  Is it a monthly?  Who is it geared to?  Beginners?  Advanced?  Toolies? Projects?

Thanks!

T.Z.

It is a Better Homes and Gardens Publication.  That should tell you about it's target audience.  It is geared toward the beginner / less experienced hobbyist.  It moves towards the intermediate, but does not quite get there.  I like it for the idea generation, even though I find I don't learn anything new.  However, in today's world, I get that on the internet for free.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I've subscribed to Wood for a long time, and it's still one of my favorite magazines. But it's not a monthly, I think it's out 7 times a year. I would describe their (and others) technique stuff as beginner, but some of their projects are very good....that's the reason I subscribe. 3 Years for $24 isn't a bad deal, just a little over $1 a copy. That's my target price for most subscriptions.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I've been a subscriber since the very beginning. I used to enjoy getting all of my woodworking magazines and reading them from cover to cover. Wood is the only one I get now, mainly because I got a long term offer for less than 50 ¢ an issue. When my subscription expires, I'll probably let it go. I have a few, unopened, that I need to read. I found out that only 2 or 3 issues a year had something that I was interested in.

Now, having said that, I cannot say that you will not get anything out of the magazine. As was stated, for $1 an issue, it is worth a shot. You may get some tips or project ideas out of it.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I agree. Wood is a decent publication but definitely usually aimed at the beginner. I get bored with it and so I let my subscription lapse. I also have subscribed Woodworker's Journal which is similar in content.  Usually when I get bored with one I subscribe the other for a while and then flip.  And, I also, wait until I can get it for a discounted price. It is not exactly up there in priority with lumber for my next project.   Both sometimes give decent reviews of new tools that are helpful. 

Just my 2 cents.

vern
When I first started out I knew even less than what I know now.

To catch-up I bought every book and subscribed to every woodworking periodical printed in English.

The two main mags then were:

https://pocketmags.com/it/the-woodworker-magazine

and

http://www.magazine-agent.com-sub.info/F...ng/Welcome
A laid back southeast Florida beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor.

Wink
They publish 7x per year.  As folks have said, they are more oriented toward the hobbyist with little to moderate experience.  Wood tends to have more diversity of projects compared to Fine Woodworking, Popular Woodworking, or Woodsmith magazines.  You'll get furniture, small items e.g. boxes, shop jigs, outdoor furniture, and a few home improvement projects thrown into the mix.  Tool reviews every once-in-a-while.  The deal in your mailer is far better than the online offering from Wood itself, where you pay about $10 for 1 year.  If you pull the trigger, just remember when your current subscription expires.  Most magazines try and offer you renewals way in advance of your current expiration (like years in advance), which gives them a whole lot more cash to work with while not having to give you anything in return for months.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
In case you forget when it expires, your subscription expiration month and year will be in the address label.
Ray
Over the years Wood has been my favorite ww magazine.  I find the project drawings very helpful!
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
Built a few things from Wood Mag. IMHO, they went downhill when Chuck Hedlund retired (think I got the name right).

As others have said, aimed at the beginner/intermediate woodworker.

Ed