Craftsman RAS on CL
how good is this RAS?

model #113.29410

Anybody know how wide it will crosscut?

Not sure I need one but if I could get a vintage Craftsman for $150 I might find a place for it.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Not very.  I had one, difficult to keep aligned due to limitations in it's design.  Plus it extremely overpriced. That should be no more than 50 bucks.  Old does not necessarily mean that it is or was a good design or well built.

The sought after saws are the cast iron arm DeWalts (round or square) or one of the Delta pivoting turret style arm saws.  

Look here: http://people.delphiforums.com/snotzalot...st/faq.htm for info on DeWalts
You can also go over to OWWM.org for info on both Dewalts and Deltas as well as other good makes to look at.

My current saw is a Delta 30C, it's a fairly heavy duty saw, this one has a 2hp 3 phase motor.  Previous to that I had a Dewalt MBF that I rebuilt as well.  That was a light duty saw, but still very well made and accurate, just a bit underpowered.
(09-10-2017, 08:24 PM)EvilTwin Wrote: Not very.  I had one, difficult to keep aligned due to limitations in it's design.  Plus it extremely overpriced. That should be no more than 50 bucks.  Old does not necessarily mean that it is or was a good design or well built.

The sought after saws are the cast iron arm DeWalts (round or square) or one of the Delta pivoting turret style arm saws.  

Look here: http://people.delphiforums.com/snotzalot...st/faq.htm for info on DeWalts
You can also go over to OWWM.org for info on both Dewalts and Deltas as well as other good makes to look at.

My current saw is a Delta 30C, it's a fairly heavy duty saw, this one has a 2hp 3 phase motor.  Previous to that I had a Dewalt MBF that I rebuilt as well.  That was a light duty saw, but still very well made and accurate, just a bit underpowered.
Actually its worth $100. Everyday all day long. Some frown on it, but there's a market that pays that.
OK -- that's what I was wondering.  Don't really have room for a RAS right now.
Rolleyes

If I did here's a good one for $400  https://louisville.craigslist.org/tls/d/...98160.html

Friend had one and it was great!
Big Grin
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Mine I've had for decades, it is model # 113.23100, from the late '70's, has been a most excellent machine that never requires adjustment and makes very precise 90* cuts. It is an essential machine in my shop that I use strictly for making 90* crosscuts up to about 16" IIRC. Not sure how it compares to the model you listed, which appears to be from the late '60's. But I think these machines are way under rated because of people who don't understand how to set them up properly. If it is anything like mine it should be well worth making an offer of ~$125-150.
Wood is good. 
I'm not a C'man expert, but there were good RAS's made by them.  A number of guys at OWWM are fans.  Plastic ones, not so much, but the one in question has value I think.
(09-11-2017, 07:54 PM)cvillewood Wrote: I'm not a C'man expert, but there were good RAS's made by them.  A number of guys at OWWM are fans.  Plastic ones, not so much, but the one in question has value I think.

i have one quite similar.  if the one in question hasn't been abused, they are excellent for crosscutting wide widths. IMHE, they don't like to be moved around the shop, are hard to align and don't like to be moved off 90°.
there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.
If anybody in NJ wants one for $100, in good shape, and has a truck to move it, shoot me a PM!
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-10-2017, 08:05 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: how good is this RAS?

model #113.29410

Anybody know how wide it will crosscut?

Not sure I need one but if I could get a vintage Craftsman for $150 I might find a place for it.

Had one similar to that one - was constantly adjusting it back to square. If you want a great RAS go for one of the old round arm Dewalts. There's tons of them around and if you are a prudent shopper, you can pick one up for a song. They are the standard in shop RAS's IMO.

Doug
(09-11-2017, 09:42 PM)Tapper Wrote: ...was constantly adjusting it back to square...

Was that because you continually changed the angle from 90*?
Wood is good.