Shop size -- time to make up my mind!
(09-15-2017, 03:27 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: I am a big fan of wall lengths divisible by 8.

Yeah I was going to add that to mine, didn't want the obvious, but you can rip sheet goods in half. That isn't the only reason. 4' or 8' is a better starting point for ALL materials. the 10' is from the pole barn industry only, doesn't exist in any other construction I am aware of.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(09-16-2017, 07:43 PM)Steve N Wrote: Yeah I was going to add that to mine, didn't want the obvious, but you can rip sheet goods in half. That isn't the only reason. 4' or 8' is a better starting point for ALL materials. the 10' is from the pole barn industry only, doesn't exist in any other construction I am aware of.

12' sheets go up fast and 8' are easy to come by.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Many new polebarns have no sheet goods....the one I posted doesn't have any.

Steel siding is 36" coverage.

Pole spacing on gable ends doesn't mean diddly, it isn't load bearing.

Wink

Ed
So, WT. Has any of this helped you decide?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(09-17-2017, 05:54 AM)fredhargis Wrote: So, WT. Has any of this helped you decide?

Hopefully he is. We are ready to spend his money.
Winkgrin
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

We put up a pole barn with 32' x42' interior dimensions and we also have a 12' x 32' exterior under the roof but not enclosed with one end being concrete to park the tractor and mower and the other being dirt to use as sheep stalls.
(09-17-2017, 05:54 AM)fredhargis Wrote: So, WT. Has any of this helped you decide?

Comments have been very helpful.  Also had a bit of a cash "windfall" which makes it easier to go with the 50' length.

Then my contractor friend found a new metal building system that we'll look into to compare to SIPS.

Spent the last three days clearing the branches, etc from the site (lots of sweat!) and figuring out drainage, etc.

Looks like 30' x 50' by 12' but roof style is still undetermined. (exact size will be determined by talking to suppliers, if a few feet more or less makes a difference I'll go with what's easiest for them)

I'll be getting bids next week and deciding which method (SIPS vs steel) I'll use.

Now I just gotta get all the permits, etc etc
Uhoh
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(09-17-2017, 02:55 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Now I just gotta get all the permits, etc etc
Uhoh

WT, are you inside incorporated limits, or out in the sticks? Sticks usually are easier, and cheaper than inside cityville. They act all Hoity, and Toity inside the towns around here, none are really big enough to deem a city, but Lord don't they act like you have to tow a line. Out in the sticks, just a rough drawing and a flat fee for building, electric, and final is free. You have to build to code, but nobody going to come along saying these are your approved color choices, or we like to limit the buildings to 11 feets.
No
Uhoh
Upset
Raised
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(09-17-2017, 06:44 PM)Steve N Wrote: WT, are you inside incorporated limits, or out in the sticks? Sticks usually are easier, and cheaper than inside cityville. They act all Hoity, and Toity inside the towns around here, none are really big enough to deem a city, but Lord don't they act like you have to tow a line. Out in the sticks, just a rough drawing and a flat fee for building, electric, and final is free. You have to build to code, but nobody going to come along saying these are your approved color choices, or we like to limit the buildings to 11 feets.  
No  
Uhoh  
Upset  
Raised

Out in the sticks but a very "enlightened" county government that is working to make sure they don't let builders get away with anything 
Rolleyes

For example, "pole barns" require 5' deep holes for each pole, complete with concrete and rebar.
Uhoh

That's why I'm not looking at a pole barn
Laugh
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(09-17-2017, 08:09 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote:  

For example, "pole barns" require 5' deep holes for each pole, complete with concrete and rebar.
Uhoh

That's why I'm not looking at a pole barn
Laugh

Jeepers. Mine is 3' deep with concrete (no rebar) and that's plenty I think.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020