Workbench/Vise Question
I would just mount it as a tail vise, as you planned, and use it.  It will work for various purposes while it's on the end of your bench.  The wall prevents your clamping long stock conveniently there, but there are many ways to deal with that; if it's sufficiently annoying to you, that will mean you want a face vise sooner.

If you then go with Jay Bates's approach to a leg vise it is very inexpensive and effective.

Take a look at Mike Siemsen on youtube for tips on how to work until then.
(09-15-2017, 09:25 PM)timsta007 Wrote: I'm just having a hard time thinking about marring the underside of the bench top by mounting  and remounting in different locations
Big Grin  I probably just need to get over that since this is a tool that is going to get beat up in other ways and that would be the most functional solution.  
Yup.  Not only is it a workbench that's going to get beat up, but we're talking about 4 holes into the bottom of the bench.  Whenever I've moved a vise, I also plugged the old holes with dowels just because the bench top was already upside down and it was easy to do.
If you're lucky, a couple of the screw holes may end up being right where you want to put a dog hole.
Steve
(09-17-2017, 11:29 AM)Steve Friedman Wrote: Yup.  Not only is it a workbench that's going to get beat up, but we're talking about 4 holes into the bottom of the bench.  Whenever I've moved a vise, I also plugged the old holes with dowels just because the bench top was already upside down and it was easy to do.
If you're lucky, a couple of the screw holes may end up being right where you want to put a dog hole.
Steve

First of all welcome to the forum. And I think you are on the right track as far as vise placement. I am a tail vise man myself, so it is right where a tail vise would go.

I am in the process of building my new bench and I love building workbenches so I checked your out. I would strongly encourage you to consider the Rockler work bench caster and the quick release plates. I prefer to work on all sides of my bench so in your case your bench can be moved out for use and back for storage. If it is moveable, the bench can be stores closer to the freezer giving you a little more room for storage against the wall.

I put threaded inserts in the legs so I could use long flat head machine screws to hold the plates on with. I like removing the casters because they can be a trip hazard, I like the removable plates because I can make more things movable without buying more moveable carts. They can make the bench more versatile and it is easier to clean up under it if you can roll it out of the way.

I know what I wrote as nothing to do with your question, but after 45 years of woodworking and now four benches later I though I would share a little bit of wisdom I picked up along the way.

Tom
Thanks for the suggestion Tom.  At the moment I'm going to wait and see how often I need/want to move the bench.  If it's only occasionally I can move it by hand but if I find I prefer to move it out every time I want to work on a project, I'll definitely pick up those Rockler casters.  Great system and a great way to save space when the bench isn't in use.