Are Craftsman push mowers any good?
I'm looking to replace my 16 year old MTD push mower with something a little less maintenance intensive. I found a Craftsman model 917.377150 on Craigslist for what appears to be a reasonable price. It is 22" w 6HP motor (not sure if that is actual HP or "peak HP"). Asking price is $150. I can't find anything on this model other than the manual. It looks to be in good shape from the ad. Mower ad. If anyone has any input on this or similar, I'd like to hear it.
I think MTD makes the Craftsman mowers. If true, it may be pretty mcuh what you already have. That doesn't mean it's a bad deal but i think MTD makes most of the store brand mowers anymore.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Nothing wrong with them. Same mowers everyone else sells. Most all are made by MTD. AYP made better mowers but they are now owned by Husqvarna and only barely exist anymore.
John Deere mowers are junk these days. So is Lawn Boy.
About the only decent mower left is an Ariens.
I have a used 6hp self propelled 21" Toro, I'm sure made by MTD too. Good mower. Standard B&S engine. I'd bet the Sears is the same cousin to it.
I gave my kids my CM 21" mower - it's 18 years old - works just fine.  I did repaint the body before I gave it to them - a little rust.  I replaced it with a CM so you can say I am a fan of CM mowers.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
(09-14-2017, 03:12 PM)Herb G Wrote: John Deere mowers are junk these days. So is Lawn Boy.
About the only decent mower left is an Ariens.

Some of the dear John mowers are built by what used to be ayp. I'm not a fan of the brand due to how they screw the farmers and commercial equipment owners. 

I haven't seen Ariens in years. They were made by AYP which is now owned by Husqvarna. I miss the good brands ayp used to have. They were always a little bbetter built than the MTD mowers.
Probably expensive, but Exmark makes push mowers...

Ed
What usually fails on a walk behind mower that warrants you replace it?
(09-14-2017, 07:41 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: Some of the dear John mowers are built by what used to be ayp. I'm not a fan of the brand due to how they screw the farmers and commercial equipment owners. 

I haven't seen Ariens in years. They were made by AYP which is now owned by Husqvarna. I miss the good brands ayp used to have. They were always a little bbetter built than the MTD mowers.

I don't know where you pull this stuff up from, but it has a tad too much fertilizer being applied to it.
Ariens was & still is made by Ariens.
https://www.ariens.com/en-us/lawn-products