TS PSA
(09-15-2017, 12:58 PM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: I think the OP is just reminding us that chit can happen. At the same time he doesn't appear to be concerned enough with that fact, to follow any safety guidelines like using a splitter/guard. It' an interesting approach and I am not certain the result will be what he wanted.
Confused

I wouldn't say this to many folks around here but if there was ever a SS customer I think we found one.  
Yes

as stated earlier,SS would not have been of any use without the cover guard in place.......... that part of the issue is overlooked when people suggest SS.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(09-15-2017, 01:31 PM)JGrout Wrote: as stated earlier,SS would not have been of any use without the cover guard in place.......... that part of the issue is overlooked when people suggest SS.

I agree... my response was targeting the future "chit can happen incident" when there may or may not be flesh contact with the blade.
Wink
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
(09-15-2017, 01:51 PM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: I agree... my response was targeting the future "chit can happen incident" when there may or may not be flesh contact with the blade.
Wink

yeah well that same guard cover used properly would warn you that danger was imminent   long before the flesh ever touched anything spinning 

Few see that for what it is either
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Yes, all I said was chit happens.

No, SawStop would not have helped in this instance. No flesh was ever anywhere near the blade. After the piece slipped from my fingers, there was not any flesh near the flung piece. So unless SS can detect a falling piece of wood, no.

As to a guard helping, maybe. And I said as much. However, the main point has always been "chit happens". I was lifting the piece to the right (toward the rip fence) when it fell at an angle, deflected slightly, and caught the blade. So maybe/maybe not on a guard.

While working today, I determined that the only thing (aside from never turning the saw on or dropping wood on a spinning blade) that would have prevented this would be an outfield table large enough to collect the many pieces I was cutting. Then I could have simply pushed each piece through, raised my hands clear, and cut the next one. It would have to be a very large outfield table.

Mostly I thought I was providing a simple be alert PSA. I didn't expect a Spanish Inquisition. Of course, Nobody Expects a Spanish Inquisition!
Just because shooting fish in a barrel is easy, that doesn't mean there are some fish that should remain unshot.
www.WestHillsWood.com
www.HOPublishing.com
FACEBOOK: #WoodShopWednesday
(09-15-2017, 03:48 PM)JGrout Wrote: yeah well that same guard cover used properly would warn you that danger was imminent   long before the flesh ever touched anything spinning 

Few see that for what it is either

It was a joke... I guess my humor was wasted on you. I'm not SS owner or fanboy and am in total agreement with you on this subject...

The OP isn't going to listen anybody in this case... he's doing all of us a favor with his PSA...the message is work unsafe and chit happens. If that's both the message and the plan then he's right in the SS wheelhouse. LOL <---- indicates that the whole premise of this thread is a total joke.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group Password IBTP
(09-15-2017, 06:43 PM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: It was a joke... I guess my humor was wasted on you. I'm not SS owner or fanboy and am in total agreement with you on this subject...

The OP isn't going to listen anybody in this case... he's doing all of us a favor with his PSA...the message is  work unsafe and chit happens. If that's both the message and the plan then he's right in the SS wheelhouse. LOL <---- indicates that the whole premise of this thread is a total joke.

a smilie would have tipped me off 
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin

It is hard to find humor in danger I suppose so I don;t look for it

(09-15-2017, 08:08 PM)JGrout Wrote: a smilie would have tipped me off 
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin

It is hard to find humor in danger I suppose so I don;t look for it

LOL
Rolleyes  The whole thread is full of "humor".. your contribution (intended or not) is certainly worth some entertainment value.
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group Password IBTP
(09-15-2017, 10:11 PM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: LOL
Rolleyes  The whole thread is full of "humor".. your contribution (intended or not) is certainly worth some entertainment value.
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

You have that right LY. Joes always good for a laugh
(09-14-2017, 06:43 PM)Harold O. Wrote: No blood this time.

I make a lot of plywood boxes and was doing what I do when WHAMM! While cutting some 14 x 15 inch 3/4 plywood end pieces,  one of them slipped out of my hand, landed on the spinning Unisaw blade and WHAMM!

The piece spun toward me and made contact just below my belt, hitting on the wide side of the piece (as opposed to the corner). No bruising, but it was a big eye opener and quite stunning.

It took a few minutes to figure out how this happened. With everything powered down, I went back through the process and discovered it was a matter of my finger tips drying out over time and losing grip. This was piece 12 of 14. I was nowhere near the blade. That 14 x 15 inch piece did not care.

Keep alert out there.

BTDT....I've turned loose of ply about that size twice over the years. Had the same curved cut.
Laugh  Sure messes up a piece of ply.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(09-14-2017, 08:42 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Glad you weren't hurt.  This is just one reason why I use a blade guard.  

John

Amen to a saw guard, splitters, and going slow enough to think about the conditions of every cut, even if done in rapid succession.

The driest my hands have ever been were the few years I worked in a printing bindery handling paper all day long. Same as handling wood, just was a lot more of it. Literally sucks the moisture from your fingers. Bag Balm was the answer for me. It's become a "boutique" thing, and a smallish can is often 12 bux +. I get mine at Tractor supply, where the dairy guys buy big cans for just a few bucks.

[Image: 517jR7TLUoL._SY355_.jpg]
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW