Snap lock ductwork tips?
I ordered some snap lock ductwork from Oneida. I don't remember having this much trouble when I set up my old shop! I can't get the stuff to lock. I tried a 6" piece (should be easy, right?) and 5". Started with the crimped end, as recommended. I could sort of get the edges partway together, but no distinct snap. I tried going down the pipe, but "pop!" every time. Open. No go.

Any tips?

Thanks.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I've watched my "tin knocker" snap pipe together in a few seconds after I had been trying for 15 minutes or more. There is definitely a certain knack required that obviously I don't have. I can manage to get tough ones together using his trick of starting one end and clamping it together with small vice grips, then, with it on the floor between my knees, working towards the other end. I sometimes hear that "snap" on 30" pieces but not too frequently on the 60". If I don't work on the floor, frequently the middle won't be locked. The only other "trick" I know of is don't push the very edges down to line up the snap lock. Try to push/squeeze both halves down, creating more of an oval, then push them together. If it at least stays together, a few good slaps will get it to lock.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
I have a ton of 6 and 8 spiral i will sell. No snapping needed. IL pickup.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

You probably have to collapse it more to make that final snap- and it all must be aligned at once. The smaller pipe is more difficult.
I am not sure what guage metal you are using, but with A/C duct you can line up the two edges and push them down till the snap together. Only takes a few seconds.
BAT

A man wearing a helmet defending our nation should make more money than a man wearing a helmet playing games!
I had the same problem when setting up my Oneida. I found I had to push well below round, so that you were pretty concave at the point where it joins when starting. Once you get the first few inches established, just push down along the joint line and they snap together pretty quickly.

A couple other things I found were (i) the joint at times has a crimp in it as you try to put it together, so it doesn't seat properly, and (ii) the smaller 5" pipe I sometimes had to tie together on the opposite end to get it close to round and not want to pull the earlier portion of the joint apart.

Not sure if this makes sense, but if you want to PM I'm happy to get on the phone and try and describe it better.

John
(09-16-2017, 06:49 PM)jcredding Wrote: I had the same problem when setting up my Oneida.  I found I had to push well below round, so that you were pretty concave at the point where it joins when starting.  Once you get the first few inches established, just push down along the joint line and they snap together pretty quickly.  

A couple other things I found were (i) the joint at times has a crimp in it as you try to put it together, so it doesn't seat properly, and (ii) the smaller 5" pipe I sometimes had to tie together on the opposite end to get it close to round and not want to pull the earlier portion of the joint apart.

Not sure if this makes sense, but if you want to PM I'm happy to get on the phone and try and describe it better.

John

Thank you. 

I wussed out. I gave up after the five hundredth try and paid a local HVAC guy a few bucks to pop them together. It wasn't super easy for him and his partner either. Nice guy -- gave me a pair of long handled tin snips that he didn't need, a spare sawzall blade, and charged me "whatever you think is right."
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(09-16-2017, 07:39 PM)Aram Wrote: Thank you. 

I wussed out. I gave up after the five hundredth try and paid a local HVAC guy a few bucks to pop them together. It wasn't super easy for him and his partner either. Nice guy -- gave me a pair of long handled tin snips that he didn't need, a spare sawzall blade, and charged me "whatever you think is right."

Thanks for sharing the best "tip" of all; sometimes it's best to leave the tough part for the Pros!
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"