Shooting board - fixed or adjustable fence
So... getting ready to embark on making a first 'nice' shooting board or two; I want/need to be able to do both 90 and 45 degrees.

I guess my first question, for the people with fixed fence shooting boards... is how do you get them dead-nuts on in the first place without having to later shim the stock somehow, every time you use it?  Seems like that would be a PITA, with the shim never being in quite the right spot for different lengths of stock, etc.?

Second question, for those with adjustable fence shooting boards... how do you make absolutely sure it doesn't move when you don't want it to, but still able to adjust when needed?
(09-14-2017, 10:18 PM)nuk Wrote: So... getting ready to embark on making a first 'nice' shooting board or two; I want/need to be able to do both 90 and 45 degrees.

I guess my first question, for the people with fixed fence shooting boards... is how do you get them dead-nuts on in the first place without having to later shim the stock somehow, every time you use it?  Seems like that would be a PITA, with the shim never being in quite the right spot for different lengths of stock, etc.?

I use a fixed fence on most of the shooting boards I have made, with a 45 triangle that fits onto it for shooting miters.  Getting it dead nuts is not too hard . The easiest, though clunky method, is to the set the fence an inch or two from the end of the board, and screw a block to the end further from where the plane rides to the rear of the fence.  Set a screw in the end of the fence closest to the track, get the fence as close to square as you can, then drive a screw at the far end of the fence, then drill a slightly undersized whole in the block, and put in a fine machine screw through the block until it just touches the back side of the fence.  Test , then remove the screw holding the fence, turn the adjusting screw, drive a new screw and repeat until dead on.
I have been building shooting boards - mainly ramped versions - for about 15 years. All feature fences with full adjustability. This makes it easier to get an exact angle, and keep it that way.

Here is one of the later designs ...

[Image: ShootingBoardsfortheLNHandtoolEvent_html_m26ce620f.jpg]

The fence has two adjustment points. The bolt on the left sits in an enlarged hole for front-and-back adjustment. The bolt on the right sits in a slot, which enables it to move sideways ..

[Image: ShootingBoardsfortheLNHandtoolEvent_html_m605081d2.jpg]

The fence can move between square and 45 degrees ...

[Image: ShootingBoardsfortheLNHandtoolEvent_html_57e4947d.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Another approach:
"Forget the adjustable fence. Just nail and glue the sucker down and adjust it to 90° with a shoulder plane after assembly."
from https://blog.lostartpress.com/2012/09/05...simpleton/
I built mine carefully and made it non adjustable. For the 45, I cut out a triangle and bolted it down. Easy peezie lemon squeezy

carl
(09-15-2017, 06:31 PM)Carl Grover Wrote: I built mine carefully and made it non adjustable. For the 45, I cut out a triangle and bolted it down. Easy peezie lemon squeezy

carl

+1
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Fixed, keep it simple. God bless Derek, he pays attention, but I'd rather spend my time making things other than shop fixtures. To each his/her own, it's all good.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Quote:I built mine carefully and made it non adjustable. For the 45, I cut out a triangle and bolted it down. Easy peezie

How did you verify it was *truly* 45? Make a picture frame? If it's not adjustable, do you pitch it in the burn pile and start over?
Quote:"Forget the adjustable fence. Just nail and glue the sucker down and adjust it to 90° with a shoulder plane after assembly."

Considering all the electrons sacrificed for videos of making adjustable fences, I sure wish I could "see" someone walk through dialing in a fence like this!
(09-01-2017, 06:25 AM)JQuacker Wrote: Do I? Yes. Have I made but a couple of pieces? Not yet. It's why I haven't opened my mouth about furniture-building techniques or how-to's.

My Instagram is my most updated media channel, for what it's worth.

(09-15-2017, 07:59 PM)Admiral Wrote: Fixed, keep it simple. God bless Derek, he pays attention, but I'd rather spend my time making things other than shop fixtures. To each his/her own, it's all good.

I do not make many shop fixtures. I also rarely spend any time building shop furniture. My time is spent building furniture. However, when I build anything, I do indeed pay attention and attempt to do the best job I can. The amount of extra time used is minimal (that shooting board was built in 2011, and I have not built another since then). This is rewarded many time over in have a tool or fixture that works well and is a pleasure to use.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com