Bosch PS30 "Disposable" Tool Lament
Have owned a Bosch PS31 Drill a little over 2 years.  Weekend woodworker, use this handy drill here and there for misc projects (e.g. drilling pilot holes).

Trigger switch recently broke.  Took it apart hoping to find a trigger switch with some terminals, maybe a $15 part.  Turns out it is a switch and a circuit board.  Cheapest I could find this on the internet was about $50 with shipping. 

But I can buy a new drill (bare tool, no battery) for $55 on eBay.  Isn't this irritating?  I don't necessarily get attached to my tools, but it is difficult to accept the disposable paradigm...

Attached Files Image(s)

Recycle it by parting out the good parts on eBay.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
(09-15-2017, 12:05 AM)Steve Soldo Wrote: Have owned a Bosch PS31 Drill a little over 2 years.  Weekend woodworker, use this handy drill here and there for misc projects (e.g. drilling pilot holes).

Trigger switch recently broke.  Took it apart hoping to find a trigger switch with some terminals, maybe a $15 part.  Turns out it is a switch and a circuit board.  Cheapest I could find this on the internet was about $50 with shipping. 

But I can buy a new drill (bare tool, no battery) for $55 on eBay.  Isn't this irritating?  I don't necessarily get attached to my tools, but it is difficult to accept the disposable paradigm...
Is the switch physically bad?  It looks like there are some snap tabs on the top that might let you access the contacts or internals.  Lots of time its just sawdust or other crap that gets in there.  

I have about 3-4 of these little drills, bought the combo kits along the way when I found sales to get more batteries for cheap, havent had any of them fail yet, though some of the batteries arent as good as they were new.  But nothing like the larger nicad 14.4's I have, those dont last nearly as long.
Of all the corded bosch tools i have owned  the switch has always been the weak point often failing in a few months. 

Of their cordless I'm betting the same Is true. 

I made a bad buying decision recently. Costco had one 18v drill and impact driver combo left for $120 iirc with the 4ah batteries. Well that's a good price and I bought it. So far I have found the battery life and power of the impact driver lacking. My 5 year old Ridgid equivalents are much better.  I have had very bad luck with bosch tools in the past as well. I knew better but it was such a good deal and I had hoped they had improved...
I've had pretty good luck with my shop full of Bosch tools.

My router got flooded after Katrina and never blinked.  I did have to blow the crud out of the switch recently, but I've mounted it in a table and the dust falls into the housing..

I've got a PS40 that I've had for easily 10 years. No problems whatsoever.

Try cleaning the switch with contact cleaner.

Good luck.
chris
(09-15-2017, 12:05 AM)Steve Soldo Wrote: Have owned a Bosch PS31 Drill a little over 2 years.  Weekend woodworker, use this handy drill here and there for misc projects (e.g. drilling pilot holes).

It may not be universal, but where I live the regional "Bosch guy" with the above set of descriptors and the trigger being something you have to use EVERY time you use the drill. Well, he would have handed me a bare tool with a wink, and taken the damaged one to send back so they could credit him personally, and to look at the drill to see why it failed. This has been my experience with Bosch tools, and also why they are first on my list when shopping for something new.

Keep my tag line in mind. What is the worst thing they can do to you if you ask for a replacement. Cook ya and eat ya, what are the odds they would be hungry, just at that very moment?
Big Grin

I should point out the "Bosch guy" is frequently found at sales, demo's and tool use get together's. WIA, Thee Wooworking Shows, Fairs both State and County, tool sales where Bosch tools are usually sold. Probably a lot more, they are the goodwill, education, and sales help Ambassadors for Bosch tools.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Like the old commercial said. "I could've had a V8"  Just substitute Ridgid for V8.
Free lifetime warranty, including batteries.
Cool Very cool!
I had a jammed chuck on a drill I have. Called, and they sent me a new chuck, that day.
Still can't bring myself to throw out the box with old Dewalt, Ryobi, Makita, Metabo, drills that died or need batteries. 
If I had the Bosch, I would give it to you for the switch.

Not only do I like the warranty, but really like the tool. 12 volt combo kit, with 2ah and 4ah batteries.

You are aware that drill has a 3 year warranty?

Ed