(09-17-2017, 07:51 PM)JGrout Wrote: Zero antikickback protection 

Wheel is too hard to grip 

the drive arm is too skinny/flexible 

The drill is finite on power batteries die 

his addition of a spring is undersized 

Go look at a proper power feeder and tell me you still have no concerns 

that is one of the best examples of BME 

and It is FUBAR because of it

Most weekend warriors are not going to purchase a commercial feeder.

I, for one, do not have a compatible saw, nor the room to store a commercial feeder, nor am I interested in the expense of one.

No, this is a question of no feeder vs. better-than-nothing feeder.

And better-than-nothing feeder is fine by me if it keeps my hands away from the danger zone, and if I can stand aside and sip a cup of coffee while the feeder and saw do the work.

A few months ago I had to rip quite a few cleats. I would have loved to have a device like this, I've already devised a great way to attach one to my fence, but I will give him time to work-through the concept a bit more.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
(09-17-2017, 08:03 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Most weekend warriors are not going to purchase a commercial feeder.

I, for one, do not have a compatible saw, nor the room to store a commercial feeder, nor am I interested in the expense of one.

No, this is a question of no feeder vs. better-than-nothing feeder.

And better-than-nothing feeder is fine by me if it keeps my hands away from the danger zone, and if I can sip a cup of coffee while the feeder and saw do the work.

No it is not better see edited post above 

I can without even the slightest bit of concern sip that cup of coffee. You OTOH best pay attention to where you stand or hold that cup 

It laughable that you even think this is a solution 

IME it is nothing more than a detriment to WW's across the board
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(09-17-2017, 08:09 PM)JGrout Wrote: No it is not better see edited post above 

I can without even the slightest bit of concern sip that cup of coffee. You OTOH best pay attention to where you stand or hold that cup 

It laughable that you even think this is a solution 

IME it is nothing more than a detriment to WW's across the board

Give me a scenario where adding this device actually reduces my ability to work safely.

How about a saw w/o a guard, splitter, or anti-kickback pawls?  Well you can muscle a piece of stock through that, I'll keep my hands as far away as possible, thank you.

How about a saw w/ all those safety features in place?  I'd still rather keep my hands to myself, especially when making many repetitive cuts.

Hands as far away from sharp spinny thing as possible = GOOD.

That is a logical truism.  You aren't supposed to need to mention them, it is sad I need to point that out.
(09-17-2017, 08:27 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Give me a scenario where adding this device actually reduces my ability to work safely.

How about a saw w/o a guard, splitter, or anti-kickback pawls?  Well you can muscle a piece of stock through that, I'll keep my hands as far away as possible, thank you.

How about a saw w/ all those safety features in place?  I'd still rather keep my hands to myself, especially when making many repetitive cuts.

Hands as far away from sharp spinny thing as possible = GOOD.

That is a logical truism.  You aren't supposed to need to mention them, it is sad I need to point that out.

the only thing true about this solution is that it is no solution It is not logical it is not even realistic past the little effort this guy put into it 

You have yet to address a single one of the valid concerns I posted above all which are valid and in need of rectification As for the fact that I am the poster child for blade covers and splitters on saws I did not think I had to even mention it I guess one can never stop the relentless pounding into the masses that saws need the basic safety items that come with ALL saws Sorry for my oversight Silly me for thinking I had made this foregone point 

You are doing a fine job of keeping this alive and I will continue to use rational thought to put this very very dangerous and inappropriate solution where it belongs 

And it is NOT on a WW machine
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(09-17-2017, 08:36 PM)JGrout Wrote: the only thing true about this solution is that it is no solution It is not logical it is not even realistic past the little effort this guy put into it 

You have yet to address a single one of the valid concerns I posted above all which are valid and in need of rectification As for the fact that I am the poster child for blade covers and splitters on saws I did not think I had to even mention it I guess one can never stop the relentless pounding into the masses that saws need the basic safety items that come with ALL saws Sorry for my oversight Silly me for thinking I had made this foregone point 

You are doing a fine job of keeping this alive and I will continue to use rational thought to put this very very dangerous and inappropriate solution where it belongs 

And it is NOT on a WW machine

That is the same argument you and John have been making all along.

I agree, users should employ a splitter, a guard, and anti-kickback pawls whenever possible.

HOWEVER, that doesn't change the fact that that a feeder advances safety, whether the user employs those features or not. An unsafe machine is safer with a feeder, a safe machine is even safer with a feeder.

Gimme something new or run along, you guys are a broken record.
(09-17-2017, 08:45 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: That is the same argument you and John have been making all along.

I agree, users should employ a splitter, a guard, and anti-kickback pawls whenever possible.

HOWEVER, that doesn't change the fact that that a feeder advances safety, whether the user employs those features or not.  An unsafe machine is safer with a feeder, a safe machine is even safer with a feeder.

Gimme something new or run along, you guys are a broken record.

not as designed it is nothing more than an accident waiting to happen Even with the aforementioned safety item in place 

Address my issues above or move on

(09-17-2017, 09:42 PM)JGrout Wrote: not as designed it is nothing more than an accident waiting to happen Even with the aforementioned safety item in place 

Address my issues above or move on

Even as the design stands now, the mechanism applies substantially more downward pressure than any saw operator would.

That is the beginning, middle, and end of the story, Joe.  As long as it doesn't allow the wood off the table, the operator is safer for using it.

Think of it as a hold-down that can push, if you will.  If the batteries die you're left with at least a hold-down, which is substantially better (safer) than no hold-down.
Having a kickback scar on my hand, I appreciate the need for safety. I think as it was shown (without any safety features installed) there are opportunities for a mishap. That said, rather than continue the 'it is', 'it isn't' discussion, I would appreciate understanding how this add on could create an accident with a splitter, a guard, and anti-kickback pawls installed? If this fails all I see happening is some burnt wood. Please help me understand what I am missing.

Thanks,

Carl
(09-17-2017, 10:15 PM)Carl10 Wrote: Having a kickback scar on my hand, I appreciate the need for safety.  I think as it was shown (without any safety features installed) there are opportunities for a mishap. That said, rather than continue the 'it is', 'it isn't'  discussion, I would appreciate understanding how this add on could create an accident with a splitter, a guard, and anti-kickback pawls installed?  If this fails all I see happening is some burnt wood.  Please help me understand what I am missing.

Thanks,

Carl

You aren't missing anything. 

And again, he was just testing out a prototype, which offered enough promise to make continuing development worthwhile.
(09-17-2017, 10:15 PM)Carl10 Wrote: Having a kickback scar on my hand, I appreciate the need for safety.  I think as it was shown (without any safety features installed) there are opportunities for a mishap. That said, rather than continue the 'it is', 'it isn't'  discussion, I would appreciate understanding how this add on could create an accident with a splitter, a guard, and anti-kickback pawls installed?  If this fails all I see happening is some burnt wood.  Please help me understand what I am missing.

Thanks,

Carl

Zero antikickback protection 

Wheel is too hard to grip 

the drive arm is too skinny/flexible 

The drill is finite on power, batteries die 

his addition of a spring is undersized  and only exacerbates the above issues as detrimental issues 

I know you can read and every one is valid