Woodsmith Garden Arbor
I'm brand new to the woodnet forum. I recently purchased the Woodsmith Plans for the Garden Arbor project, WoodsmithPlans.com, WS11106. I need to modify the plans to create an inside post to post dimension for a length of 72" instead of 48" shown on the plans. When I do this the geometry of the two arches will need to be changed since the length dimension will be two feet longer. Does anyone have any clever ideas how to adjust the curvature of the arch to fit the longer length dimension? It's been awhile since I took high school geometry!
(09-15-2017, 01:08 PM)tonyheinrichs Wrote: I'm brand new to the woodnet forum. I recently purchased the Woodsmith Plans for the Garden Arbor project, WoodsmithPlans.com, WS11106. I need to modify the plans to create an inside post to post dimension for a length of 72" instead of 48" shown on the plans. When I do this the geometry of the two arches will need to be changed since the length dimension will be two feet longer. Does anyone have any clever ideas how to adjust the curvature of the arch to fit the longer length dimension? It's been awhile since I took high school geometry!

You should post this in woodworking or off topic if you want good answers.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

Does this calculator help?

http://www.handymath.com/cgi-bin/rad2.cgi?submit=Entry
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
(09-16-2017, 12:16 PM)barnowl Wrote: Does this calculator help?

http://www.handymath.com/cgi-bin/rad2.cgi?submit=Entry

Barnowl,

Many thanks for the arc calculator. Much appreciated! I think this is just what I need. I know the desired length of the arc and will play around with the height as shown on the calculator diagram and then calculate the arc radius. 

Nice to meet a fellow veteran. I'm retired Navy myself.