Help for a newbie
I've been lurking on this site for a number of years and have finally decided to try some turning. I have a small lathe, a set of Sorbey (sic?) lathe tools, and lots of questions. I made a lathe stand and secured the lathe to it but the height doesn't seem right. It is very uncomfortable to use and that probably means its is unsafe.

Can someone recommend some books or other resources for a beginning turner? I am not currently interested in hollowing vases or such. My questions go more to such things as how to sharpen the gouges. I use the “scary sharp” method to sharpen plane blades and chisels and have a grinder for heavy stock removal. But I'm not sure as to angles, etc.

I am sure there are guidelines for determining the proper height for the lathe. Many moons ago I made my workbench and adjusted the height to fit me so I can probably modify the lathe stand.

Also, can someone recommend what safety equipment I should have.
Youtube should yield quite a bit of useful information. If you have an opportunity to take turning classes through a local college or woodworking store that would be useful as well.

Using scary sharp on lathe tools is something I would never recommend. A grinder with some kind of adjustable grinding jig (I only do freehand sharpening) is generally the most efficient way. Grinding angles depend on the tool and how you want to use it, particularly for bowl gouges.

Safety equipment will be the cage that came with your lathe, some type of face shield, safety glasses and a P100 respirator or powered unit.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Hi,
The best thing I can tell you is to see if there are any wood turning clubs in your area.  Nothing beats live instruction.  I know ours has live demonstrations nearly every meeting plus open shop sessions where you can work on projects with experienced turners mentoring you. I'm hoping you have something similar in your area.  Ours also has a free library for members.

Woodturning: A Foundation Course by Keith Rowley is a good starting point.  Videos on youtube from Cap'n Eddie are good too.  Also look for RoboHippy.  He's a very accomplished turner and has some good videos out there.  There are others too.
Your local library is your friend.  If they don't have a particular title, ask.  They can probably get it through an interlibrary loan.

I think Keith's book has a section on sharpening.  Most sharpening for turning is done on a grinder.  You cut so much much wood so quickly with a lathe that tools need sharpened pretty often.  It would be impractical to sharpen them by hand.

I'm not sure what to tell you on the height of your lathe other than if it's uncomfortable it's wrong.  Maybe look at specs on the height to the spindle of some new models if you can and see where they're at.  They're going to be made to fit people of average height so adjust up or down accordingly.
Rodney
(09-15-2017, 04:00 PM)Arenablance Wrote: I've been lurking on this site for a number of years and have finally decided to try some turning. I have a small lathe, a set of Sorbey (sic?) lathe tools, and lots of questions. I made a lathe stand and secured the lathe to it but the height doesn't seem right. It is very uncomfortable to use and that probably means its is unsafe.

Can someone recommend some books or other resources for a beginning turner? I am not currently interested in hollowing vases or such. My questions go more to such things as how to sharpen the gouges. I use the “scary sharp” method to sharpen plane blades and chisels and have a grinder for heavy stock removal. But I'm not sure as to angles, etc.

I am sure there are guidelines for determining the proper height for the lathe. Many moons ago I made my workbench and adjusted the height to fit me so I can probably modify the lathe stand.

Also, can someone recommend what safety equipment I should have.

If I knew you better I would loan you some and I have about 50+ turning DVDs and Jimmy Clewes just sent me all of his for me and the other vets to watch.

If you wish and send me a PM I can send you a lot of YouTube that I really like.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
A general starting point for lathe height is the center of the spindle should be about elbow height for comfortable turning.
Welcome to the vortex!

I have Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Wood Turning by Richard Raffin and his DVD.  You Tube is a good source, but there's a lot of nonsense there as well. Some of the previous commenters gave good Youtube recommendations.  I like to learn from both written material and videos.  

For safety equipment, you'll need a face shield and safety glasses, and a respirator for sanding.  No baggy sleeves, gloves, or long untied hair.  Don't stand in the line of fire, meaning think about where a spinning piece of wood is going to fly off if it breaks or comes loose from the lathe (because it will!)

Finally, the ABC's: Anchor, Bevel, and Cut.  Anchor the tool firmly on the tool rest before it touches the spinning work piece.  Let the Bevel ride high on the work piece where it is not cutting, then slowly lift the handle up (while keeping the tool on the rest) until you are Cutting.
Others have given you excellent advice. ^^

Nothing is better than seeing it live in person for rapid learning.

There are American Association of Woodturning (AAW) chapters all across the country.
You can find one (hopefully) near you at their website.

Most clubs have monthly meetings. Many of the meeting will have live demonstrators, show and tell, and a chance to meet and chat. Some of them have public demonstrations and outreach programs for new turners. I believe that our local club currently offers a one-on-one mentoring session with a senior member to new comers. Some of them also have raffles/door_prizes of wood and/or private lessons. I have been lucky enough to attend local club workshops with visiting turners including Richard Raffin and Alan Lacer.

There are also woodturning symposia in different parts of the country. Some of those include classrooms in addition to the turner demonstrations.

In addition to finding and attending a local AAW chapter, I would suggest putting your location (at least general) in your WN info. The location got deleted when WN changed software. If we know where you are, you might get an invitation to visit another WNer's shop to help get you over that initial learning curve safely.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(09-16-2017, 05:45 PM)iclark Wrote: Others have given you excellent advice. ^^

Nothing is better than seeing it live in person for rapid learning.

There are American Association of Woodturning (AAW) chapters all across the country.
You can find one (hopefully) near you at their website.

Most clubs have monthly meetings. Many of the meeting will have live demonstrators, show and tell, and a chance to meet and chat. Some of them have public demonstrations and outreach programs for new turners. I believe that our local club currently offers a one-on-one mentoring session with a senior member to new comers. Some of them also have raffles/door_prizes of wood and/or private lessons. I have been lucky enough to attend local club workshops with visiting turners including Richard Raffin and Alan Lacer.

There are also woodturning symposia in different parts of the country. Some of those include classrooms in addition to the turner demonstrations.

In addition to finding and attending a local AAW chapter, I would suggest putting your location (at least general) in your WN info. The location got deleted when WN changed software. If we know where you are, you might get an invitation to visit another WNer's shop to help get you over that initial learning curve safely.

I Looked at the Website.  The closest chapter is about 1 1/2 away.  I'll probably try to see what I can glean from books and YouTube first.
I have always read and heard the height of the lathe should be elbow or just above high. I have my lathe 3 to 4 inches above my elbow.  I find it more comfortable for my arms and lower back at that height on long sessions. Don't be afraid to step away for a timeout if you feel the aches and pains. They distract you.

Safety is number 1. I can certainly attest to that. I have had my share of flubs over the years and I still have all ten and both eyes.
(09-16-2017, 10:04 AM)badwhiskey Wrote: Finally, the ABC's: Anchor, Bevel, and Cut.  Anchor the tool firmly on the tool rest before it touches the spinning work piece.  Let the Bevel ride high on the work piece where it is not cutting, then slowly lift the handle up (while keeping the tool on the rest) until you are Cutting.

Not always "up" to engage the edge.  Valid for some spindle orientations, not for faceplate  turnings - the handle should move away from the surface to be cut.  I prefer to anchor overhand always then swing the nose (edge parallel to the surface) into the cut, a method that begins with a narrow, shallow bite, and increases to produce the shaving desired.  Advantage is that you will be cutting downhill, even with spindle orientation.  You want to slice the wood across the grain, and peel along it.  

Then, let the wood tell you how "it wishes to be cut." Frank Pain, author of The practical Woodturner  uses  that descriptive phrase.  If the shavings, or worse, the "chips" rise or "fly", you're doing it wrong.  You're tearing, not cutting.

Stand clear (of the throw zone), rest near (as close to the work as geometry will allow) and then let the wood be your teacher.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.