Garden Arbor
I'm brand new to the woodnet forum. I recently purchased the Woodsmith Plans for the Garden Arbor project, WoodsmithPlans.com, WS11106. I need to modify the plans to create an inside post to post dimension for a length of 72" instead of 48" shown on the plans. When I do this the geometry of the two arches will need to be changed since the length dimension will be two feet longer. Does anyone have any clever ideas how to adjust the curvature of the arch to fit the longer length dimension? It's been awhile since I took high school geometry!
If you can give us the length of the base (point to point at the bottom of the arch) , and the height of the arch at the tallest point, the radius can be calculated.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(09-15-2017, 11:46 PM)tonyheinrichs Wrote: I'm brand new to the woodnet forum. I recently purchased the Woodsmith Plans for the Garden Arbor project, WoodsmithPlans.com, WS11106. I need to modify the plans to create an inside post to post dimension for a length of 72" instead of 48" shown on the plans. When I do this the geometry of the two arches will need to be changed since the length dimension will be two feet longer. Does anyone have any clever ideas how to adjust the curvature of the arch to fit the longer length dimension? It's been awhile since I took high school geometry!

I guess I would redraw it (using SketchUp) and work out a new arch. Are you planning to make the arbor taller? If not, I think I would divide the arch in half and put them in the corners. 

Maybe something like this. I just eyeballed it from the photo on the website and the overall dimensions given so it's probably not exact. Note the detail added to the inner ends of the arches on the right.
[Image: 36862765660_bd2ab2bc9a.jpg]
(09-16-2017, 06:14 AM)fredhargis Wrote: If you can give us the length of the base (point to point at the bottom of the arch) , and the height of the arch at the tallest point, the radius can be calculated.

Thanks for the suggestion. Barnowl sent me an arc calculator to use. I need to figure out the height as you mentioned and then use the calculator to find the radius. I think I'm good to go now.
(09-16-2017, 09:02 AM)DaveR1 Wrote: I guess I would redraw it (using SketchUp) and work out a new arch. Are you planning to make the arbor taller? If not, I think I would divide the arch in half and put them in the corners. 

Maybe something like this. I just eyeballed it from the photo on the website and the overall dimensions given so it's probably not exact. Note the detail added to the inner ends of the arches on the right.
[Image: 36862765660_bd2ab2bc9a.jpg]

Thanks for the suggestion to use SketchUp. Something else I've always wanted to learn. How did you get started with using SketchUp?
(09-16-2017, 01:36 PM)tonyheinrichs Wrote: How did you get started with using SketchUp?

I started using it about 14-1/2 years ago. I found that it is an excellent tool for designing my own projects as well as making illustrations to show others. That picture-is-worth-a-thousand-words, thing. It's pretty intuitive to use once you get started on the right foot. Now, in addition to drawing my own projects, I also use it to create plans for a number of clients as well as project proposal docs and other stuff.

FWIW, I'm an authorized SketchUp trainer so if you want some help getting started, send me a PM. If you're bored, you can see more examples of SketchUp drawings here.