Workbench Build
Thanks for the write-up. You did an excellent job with a basic set of hand tools. Most of us, me included, would have postponed starting on this project until we had acquired a shop full of tools to meet every contingency. That looks like a very sturdy workbench. You will get many years of enjoyment from it. Also, glad to have you on the forum. I have learned a lot here. You will too. There's a lot of talent here and people don't mind sharing their knowledge and experience.

Hank
Nice post.  Next time, when mortising, don't use a rubber mallet, that's what gave you the tendonitis, the bouncing transmitted the force to your elbows and joints.  Better to make yourself a wooden mallet, or use a steel hammer.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-16-2017, 08:45 AM)Admiral Wrote: Nice post.  Next time, when mortising, don't use a rubber mallet, that's what gave you the tendonitis, the bouncing transmitted the force to your elbows and joints.  Better to make yourself a wooden mallet, or use a steel hammer.

Without a doubt, making a wooden mallet is one of the very first things I'm planning to do once the bench is finished.  i originally assumed it was just repetitive stress but what you say makes perfect sense.
An impressive display of perseverance to say the least.

And as a bonus, you will have a nice reminder of the project you started.

And imagine how much better your planing will be when you have a proper workbench to do it on ! ! ! ! !
Very little time over the last week or so to work on this project but I did get a few additional things done. I flush cut and then planed the ends of the tenons that were poking up through the bench top as well as the ends of the half lap joints on the base.

[Image: xHRjY0vh.jpg]

[Image: tySJWdeh.jpg]

[Image: b6h8wlDh.jpg]

Next up was mounting the new vise that came in the mail last week. I used some clamps to hold it onto the table while i drilled and installed lag screws.

[Image: 90uKds5h.jpg]

[Image: WNK1U3zh.jpg]

[Image: QX9VSLOh.jpg]

[Image: 4wfE5Soh.jpg]

[Image: nAlqjPYh.jpg]

This vise came with an adjustable dog so next up was to measure and drill dog holes to use with it.

[Image: AvmkC4dh.jpg]

I wanted to get some of them done to see how they would come out but I skipped the ones near the legs. I'll have to pull the top of the table off to do that and I didn't have time for that today.

[Image: 5GxaVDsh.jpg]

I tried putting a chamfer on the holes to prevent chipping but I didn't do a great job of it on this hole. I'll clean it up with a small file. The hole in the 2nd pic came out a bit cleaner.

[Image: XWocExlh.jpg]

[Image: ilMsl1Yh.jpg]
GOOD JOB!

My first bench (built about 50 years ago) was made from multiple glued layers of 3/4" particle board purchased from the local lumber yard. Legs were 4 x 4's with a lower shelf. A tool tray in back, and like yours, a Record vice with a slide-up stop at the end, and a larger one on the left front side with peg holes in the front legs to work on vertical pieces.

It was primitive by today's standards but survived over 30 years of use and abuse.

After I turned pro, and won construction awards and such people would stop by my shop and say, "THIS is your workbench!?"

Shows to go that it is often not the tools or machinery but the one working with them from whence great creations are produced.

:-)

EDIT:

Another thing I learned over the years was to immediately remove (sand off) the factory finish from handles of chisels, planes, etc to get down to bare wood.

Does wonders to keep from getting hand blisters. Something about centuries of "Nature calling" I guess?
A laid back southeast Florida beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor.

Wink
(09-16-2017, 02:57 AM)timsta007 Wrote:   Some ice and a quick bandaid and I was back to work.

[Image: ZQ8Jncjh.jpg]

Hope you didn't forget to rub dirt on it.
JB

"Give me an army of West Point graduates, I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war!"
--Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

That thing looks like a beast. Nice job!
Been a few weeks since I updated this thread but i have a few minor improvements to share.  I did finish off the dog holes at the legs which was quite a pain in the butt and got the table moved over to the wall where it will live most of the time.

[Image: YwXIQFQh.jpg]

[Image: F8kO1Hnh.jpg]

[Image: mNhU8Fwh.jpg]

Next little project was to install some boards on the jaws of the vise to provide a bit more protection to pieces that would be clamped.  Pretty cool to   see how much easier this stuff is when I actually have a bench and a vise to use when working on the stuff.  I decided to use three boards since I wanted the wood to be flush against the end of the workbench.

[Image: RVm39vah.jpg]

[Image: dRHsB6dh.jpg]

[Image: 1cXu8L0h.jpg]

[Image: C0QKLmRh.jpg]

[Image: pXZ8nUVh.jpg]

[Image: Q8Tc1heh.jpg]

[Image: OnSIRKrh.jpg]
Next up was applying a coat of boiled linseed oil to the exterior surface.  I put extra on the top and let it soak in a bit before wiping the excess, while I just rubbed the base with a cloth that was soaked in oil.  I'm sure I will do another coat, but the fumes were pretty substantial so I'll probably wait a week or two to add more.

[Image: SX5iesRh.jpg]

[Image: YwzXwwsh.jpg]

[Image: tnTjZFjh.jpg]

[Image: oCux40Gh.jpg]

[Image: HE09bzuh.jpg]

After working with it a bit, I've realized that for even moderate sized projects I'm going to want to move it out to the middle of the garage and be able to have more room to work.  Based on a great recommendation from a member here (can't recall who) I decided to buy and install a set of retractable and removable casters from Rockler.

[Image: 4kLmeoXh.jpg]

[Image: dhhnHXkh.jpg]

[Image: T28B57mh.jpg]

[Image: rVimPeUh.jpg]

[Image: e2A2yB4h.jpg]

The only other addition I'm thinking I'd like to make at some point in the future is a leg vise but I think that will be a bit down the road and after I've done a few projects to see what I like and what I don't like about the set up.  I'm still trying to find a good piece of firewood to make a carpenters mallet so the next project up may be installing french cleats on the wall behind the bench to give me lots more storage.