Newbie to PEX
I have some plumbing to do and am ready to dive into using PEX.

I need to buy the tools and some pipe. I have heard that there are two types of connectors and crimpers.

I want to buy this once and believe that there is a tool that will expand or crimp so multipurpose.

What do you recommend for a starting tool set and type of pipe to purchase?
Here we go, Pex 101  

There's 2 main fitting systems, crimp and expansion.  There's a handful of others, mainly some variation of a compression nut system.

Uponor (Wirsbo) is the big kid in the game, the expansion style fitting is proprietary to them and they have licensed Milwaukee to make the expansion tools necessary for their system.  I would most definitely not use anybody else's pipe on these fittings.  Its expensive to play but IMHO, for several reasons, its the best.

Crimp ring fittings are the next biggest player and multiple manufacturers are in.  Its easy and good tools aren't terribly pricey.  I would recommend this route for a homeowner.  Make sure your crimping tool has a go/no go gauge and that you use it.  Adjust the tool into spec if required.  Put the ring in the right place on the tube before crimping.

Learn what strike plates are and use them.

Buy a proper cutter for the tubing, a utility knife is going to end up making you bleed and you won't get square cuts on the tube.  

Ask away if you have other specific questions.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(09-16-2017, 02:48 PM)sroxberg Wrote: I have some plumbing to do and am ready to dive into using PEX.

I need to buy the tools and some pipe. I have heard that there are two types of connectors and crimpers.

I want to buy this once and believe that there is a tool that will expand or crimp so multipurpose.

What do you recommend for a starting tool set and type of pipe to purchase?

Home Depot sells a combo 1/2-3/4 inch crimp tool for about $70 bucks. Crimp rings are cheap so I use 2 copper crimp rings on every fitting, pretty cheap insurance.
I am not a pro but I have plumbed 5 whole houses for myself and friends and this method has proved foolproof.
(09-16-2017, 06:13 PM)blackhat Wrote: Here we go, Pex 101  

There's 2 main fitting systems, crimp and expansion.  There's a handful of others, mainly some variation of a compression nut system.

Uponor (Wirsbo) is the big kid in the game, the expansion style fitting is proprietary to them and they have licensed Milwaukee to make the expansion tools necessary for their system.  I would most definitely not use anybody else's pipe on these fittings.  Its expensive to play but IMHO, for several reasons, its the best.

Crimp ring fittings are the next biggest player and multiple manufacturers are in.  Its easy and good tools aren't terribly pricey.  I would recommend this route for a homeowner.  Make sure your crimping tool has a go/no go gauge and that you use it.  Adjust the tool into spec if required.  Put the ring in the right place on the tube before crimping.

Learn what strike plates are and use them.

Buy a proper cutter for the tubing, a utility knife is going to end up making you bleed and you won't get square cuts on the tube.  

Ask away if you have other specific questions.
What's a strike plate?
Strike plates are metal plates that are fastened to framing lumber when you drill a hole to pass pipe or wire through. They prevent screws or nails from hitting said pipe or wire. Usually made with a couple of bent down pointed tabs so you can place them with a hammer smack or two. Thin enough to just run drywall over. Cheap insurance.
Blackhat

(09-19-2017, 11:37 PM)blackhat Wrote: Strike plates are metal plates that are fastened to framing lumber when you drill a hole to pass pipe or wire through. They prevent screws or nails from hitting said pipe or wire. Usually made with a couple of bent down pointed tabs so you can place them with a hammer smack or two. Thin enough to just run drywall over. Cheap insurance.

you forgot to mention they are good finger cutters as well when you have a whole box of them and reach in to get 1 or 2 out....
For the less than perfect among us I have found the two part crimp rings to be most attractive.

When you goof and have to cut out a fitting the two piece crimp rings can be easily removed with a side cutter and the fitting reused easily. Don't know how you'd remove a single piece ring.
Wink
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Bug 
(09-29-2017, 07:50 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: For the less than perfect among us I have found the two part crimp rings to be most attractive.

When you goof and have to cut out a fitting the two piece crimp rings can be easily removed with a side cutter and the fitting reused easily.  Don't know how you'd remove a single piece ring.
Wink

I'm one of those!  And the answer is:  Dremel with a little cut off wheel!
It only takes a minute to cut a ring with a hacksaw.
Blackhat

(09-30-2017, 01:13 PM)blackhat Wrote: It only takes a minute to cut a ring with a hacksaw.

I bought a dedicated splitter for crimp ring: cut the pex flush-ish to the fitting, use the ring-splitter to remove the copper ring.  The hardest part is getting the waste pex off the fitting.

https://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Crimp-Ring...B004TNGXR8

-Mark