Hide glue for bent lamination?
I am working on a table with curved rails. The bent lamination gave me fits and I have come to the realization that I have to make up another one as there is some twist in one of them.
I used titebond 3 originally but recently purchased TB liquid hide glue for another project (restoring am a antique rocker).
I have never used hide glue before, but I thought that it had a longer open time than regular wood glue?
Would it be suitable for gluing up a bent lamination?
Thanks
The issue with hide glue is that it can be temperature/humidity sensitive, so the excess open time is bought at a higher risk of future failure.

Plastic resin glue is your best bet, but I have made MANY bent wood parts in 30 years using TB 1 I like it because it dries hard, not flexible like TB II and III. 

Open time should not be as big an issue with proper prep and the right forms. I prefer two-piece forms. When made well, you get far better and more even pressure, use fewer clamps and are MUCH faster than one-piece forms with loads of clamps.

I cover layout making and using these two-sided forms in Episode 3 of Woodcademy TV, which you can watch for free on Amazon, even if you do not have Prime. www.woodcademy.com/wctv.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Hide glue is all they had years ago so clearly it works.  But I use plastic resin glue and a one piece mold in a vacuum bag most of the time.  I once made some 10 or 12 ft long curved stair railings from 10 layers of 1/4" thick oak.  I used PRG, applied with a roller, and clamped the assembly against a one side mold with a couple of extra layers of wood on the clamp side to help distribute the load.  Yes, lots of clamps, but the joints were tight and the railings had zero spring back.

The open time on PRG is pretty short, although it's generally long enough if you work quickly.  For those times when I need more open time I use epoxy. 

John
The Windsor chair that I am sitting in was built using TB Liquid Hide glue. As I could not steam bend, the arm rail is a glue lamination. I wondered what would happen when drilling for the spindles, but there was no reaction. The bend held in place. The lamination is really strong, I place my weight on it each time I get in or out of the chair.

There is plenty of open time with the TBLH glue, to stack the strips, make the bend, and adjust as necessary.

I would use this method again, and am contemplating another chair, perhaps a sack back with a very thin lamination and then shaved to a round.
Again, using TB Liquid Hide glue.

I think you could do just about any sort of bend you wanted to do with TBLH, and it would be just fine.

BTW, this chair has been in daily use since February 2016 without issue. I do realize that is not terribly long. But I do "test" the joinery often and nothing has come loose yet.
Not expecting it to, either.

HtH,
Ag
Nice chair Ag
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(09-17-2017, 12:10 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Hide glue is all they had years ago so clearly it works.  But I use plastic resin glue and a one piece mold in a vacuum bag most of the time.  I once made some 10 or 12 ft long curved stair railings from 10 layers of 1/4" thick oak.  I used PRG, applied with a roller, and clamped the assembly against a one side mold with a couple of extra layers of wood on the clamp side to help distribute the load.  Yes, lots of clamps, but the joints were tight and the railings had zero spring back.

The open time on PRG is pretty short, although it's generally long enough if you work quickly.  For those times when I need more open time I use epoxy. 

John

Luthiers still use hide glue.  It has the added advantage in that it is a reversible glue (can be "unglued").  My understanding is that hide glue has the least amount of creep of all the glues out there.  A little hard to find however:

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Sup..._Glue.html

LePage's used to be synonymous with hide glue no longer shows it on their site.

[Image: 6a00e54f0014bd8834014e8921f6c1970d.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
GW,
TY!
Ag
I've done a lot of bent staircase railing over the years and always used TB I Original.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

If you're worried about open time, try Titebond Extend.  Hide glue can be purchased many places, including Lee Valley and Tools for Working Wood.  The advantage of the dry granular or pearl hide glue is you can mix up only the amount you need when you use it.  The pearls keep for a very long time as long as they are kept dry.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill