Whiteside tongue and groove set.
I have a whiteside tongue and groove router bit set.  

Can I use that for shaker cabinet frames?

I usually use 1/2" ply for the panel.  I reduce the thickness to fit the rails and stiles.  It feels like a more substantial door that way.  So I can adjust the panel thickness to fit the tongue and groove thickness requirement.

A new shaker cabinet set is $92.00 and I'd hate to spend that if the tongue and groove will work.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Sure, as long as the set will cut 3/8" deep. (Standard panel depth)
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(09-18-2017, 11:24 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Sure, as long as the set will cut 3/8" deep. (Standard panel depth)

I will have to check the dimensions.  

When I've made these doors on the table saw I cut to 3/4" depth, which gives a much stronger joint.

I think I will make a sample and test it for strength.
I have dimensional drawings on the website if it helps.  As an example, here is the 3375 tongue and groove bit.

https://www.holbren.com/Whiteside_Machine_3375
(09-19-2017, 08:23 AM)Brian in sunny FL Wrote: I have dimensional drawings on the website if it helps.  As an example, here is the 3375 tongue and groove bit.

https://www.holbren.com/Whiteside_Machine_3375
The glue up with have just 3/8" of face grain to face grain surface.  Is that enough?  

I think my other frame and panel bit sets are closer to 3/4".

Thanks for the drawings.  It is very helpful.

Also, has anyone made these doors using a floating tenon instead of the fixed tenon?  It looks way more efficient.
(09-19-2017, 08:35 AM)Cooler Wrote: The glue up with have just 3/8" of face grain to face grain surface.  Is that enough?  

I think my other frame and panel bit sets are closer to 3/4".

Thanks for the drawings.  It is very helpful.

Also, has anyone made these doors using a floating tenon instead of the fixed tenon?  It looks way more efficient.

It has proven to be enough in about probably a few million doors coming out of production shops across the world for a good many years 

3/8" has been the standard for a very long time
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(09-19-2017, 09:28 AM)JGrout Wrote: It has proven to be enough in about probably a few million doors coming out of production shops across the world for a good many years 

3/8" has been the standard for a very long time

Thanks for the information.  My kitchen cabinets (from the 1990s) have longer than that, possibly because of the radius on the inside.

Cooler.
A lot of the older commercial made cabs used to be 1/2", but I haven't run across any in quite a while.

With 3/8", the stile usually splits before the joint gives up. I've repaired/replaced a couple of the doors I've made over the years when a customer would fall into one of the doors while it was open, pushing it back hard enough they broke the hinge side style.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Thanks for the replies.

So the only difference between a shaker cabinet set and a tongue and groove set is the thickness of the panel it will accept?

Then why is the shaker cabinet set twice the price of the tongue and groove set?  I'm pretty sure I spent about $55.00 for the tongue and groove set and the shaker set is $94.00.
(09-20-2017, 07:33 AM)Cooler Wrote: Thanks for the replies.

So the only difference between a shaker cabinet set and a tongue and groove set is the thickness of the panel it will accept?

Then why is the shaker cabinet set twice the price of the tongue and groove set?  I'm pretty sure I spent about $55.00 for the tongue and groove set and the shaker set is $94.00.

Not sure what set you are looking at but there is a shaker set that has a slight 5 degree angle in the groove cuts
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy