Can someone do a really simple project for me ??
Hi all,

I am in need of someone to do a very quick & easy project.  My father has a large executive desk in his den and I put a small UPS battery unit and backup computer in a cubby hole behind it.  However, I need to construct a wood support that will allow the UPS to fit inside it and the backup computer to rest on top of it.  I just need a really basic support made of 1/4" thick plywood or MDF but it has to be sturdy so I can pull it out once in awhile to do maintenance on the backup computer.  I really don't care about cosmetic appeal, but I do want the wood or MDF painted a matte black.

I would build this myself but I dont have the tools and I'm currently out of town until Sept. 29 and my father is leaving town that weekend so his house will be empty and thus the perfect time to install this support behind his desk.  I need the item shipped to arrive to me by Sept. 29 using UPS Ground or similar courier.

Can someone do this really easy project for like $25.00?  I can send the money thru PayPal or even a direct bank-to-bank transfer using online banking.

Here is a schematic I made of the support:

[Image: XwYyBaY.jpg]
(09-18-2017, 12:48 PM)PSU-Stud-88 Wrote: Hi all,

I am in need of someone to do a very quick & easy project.  My father has a large executive desk in his den and I put a small UPS battery unit and backup computer in a cubby hole behind it.  However, I need to construct a wood support that will allow the UPS to fit inside it and the backup computer to rest on top of it.  I just need a really basic support made of 1/4" thick plywood or MDF but it has to be sturdy so I can pull it out once in awhile to do maintenance on the backup computer.  I really don't care about cosmetic appeal, but I do want the wood or MDF painted a matte black.

I would build this myself but I dont have the tools and I'm currently out of town until Sept. 29 and my father is leaving town that weekend so his house will be empty and thus the perfect time to install this support behind his desk.  I need the item shipped to arrive to me by Sept. 29 using UPS Ground or similar courier.

Can someone do this really easy project for like $25.00?  I can send the money thru PayPal or even a direct bank-to-bank transfer using online banking.

Here is a schematic I made of the support:

[Image: XwYyBaY.jpg]
Go to homedepot pick out a 1x10x8' pine board, ask the salesperson to cut:

one piece to 16" long and two pieces to  12.5" long. Buy small bottle of glue and glue pieces together and you are done. You can add nails/screws, but not necessary for what you are trying to achieve.
(09-18-2017, 01:05 PM)OldGuyDrummer Wrote: Go to homedepot pick out a 1x10x8' pine board, ask the salesperson to cut:

one piece to 16" long and two pieces to  12.5" long. Buy small bottle of glue and glue pieces together and you are done. You can add nails/screws, but not necessary for what you are trying to achieve.

Glue isn't really strong enough because of the thin-ness of the wood panels.  Like I said, I need to be able to pull out the support once in awhile to service the backup computer, so I want something that won't fall apart easily.  The corner braces with screw holes are pretty cheap --- like $2 a piece at Lowe's --- and they will do an excellent job of holding the wood panels together very sturdily.

As I mentioned, I really don't care about aesthetics since this thing will be hidden away behind a desk.  Seems like an easy to way to make $25 since most of you probably have scrap wood lying around that can be used for this project.

Any takers?
Where do you live? For $25 the shipping will likely kill the deal for most people here. Someone local to you might be more interested in doing it.
You are kidding yourself with a 1/4" plywood spec, notwithstanding metal corner braces. You've designed a house of cards, but good luck. Half inch stock with proper corner dovetails or box joints will suffice. Take the advice given above and DIY.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Just use some lengths of aluminum angle.
Wood is good. 
(09-18-2017, 04:29 PM)Admiral Wrote: You are kidding yourself with a 1/4" plywood spec, notwithstanding metal corner braces.  You've designed a house of cards, but good luck.  Half inch stock with proper corner dovetails or box joints will suffice.  Take the advice given above and DIY.

Amen to this, especially if it is to be drug in and out to do maintenance. 1/2" minimum, I'd use 3/4". Plus trying to screw anything INTO 1/4 sheet goods is an exercise in futility, the screws will chew up that thin a sheet. So now that you are in a realistic panel size, the 25 bux will have you coming to wherever to pick it up. S&H of an odd size as that won't fit into any USPS box, so you will be 25 bux with Dead X, or UPS. Whoever is doing it will be working for free. If you jack up the vig to 100 bux you may get someone to look at it.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(09-18-2017, 02:54 PM)stav Wrote: Where do you live? For $25 the shipping will likely kill the deal for most people here. Someone local to you might be more interested in doing it.

I should have clarified that I will pay the shipping --- the $25 is purely for labor and cost of the materials
(09-18-2017, 04:29 PM)Admiral Wrote: You are kidding yourself with a 1/4" plywood spec, notwithstanding metal corner braces.  You've designed a house of cards, but good luck.  Half inch stock with proper corner dovetails or box joints will suffice.  Take the advice given above and DIY.

This is a really basic "quick and dirty" project --- dovetails is overkill.

1/4" lauan plywood should work well --- as long as I have the corner bracing to keep the panels from popping apart --- that's why I dont want to use only glue
(09-18-2017, 06:42 PM)Steve N Wrote: Amen to this, especially if it is to be drug in and out to do maintenance. 1/2" minimum, I'd use 3/4". Plus trying to screw anything INTO 1/4 sheet goods is an exercise in futility, the screws will chew up that thin a sheet. So now that you are in a realistic panel size, the 25 bux will have you coming to wherever to pick it up. S&H of an odd size as that won't fit into any USPS box, so you will be 25 bux with Dead X, or UPS. Whoever is doing it will be working for free. If you jack up the vig to 100 bux you may get someone to look at it.

The whole point of using the corner bracing is to avoid putting screws edgewise into 1/4" lauan plywood --- that would be virtually impossible.

3/4" plywood would be way too thick and sturdy for this project --- the backup PC that will be resting on top of it only weighs 10 lbs!