Can someone do a really simple project for me ??
(09-18-2017, 11:25 PM)PSU-Stud-88 Wrote: The whole point of using the corner bracing is to avoid putting screws edgewise into 1/4" lauan plywood --- that would be virtually impossible.

3/4" plywood would be way too thick and sturdy for this project --- the backup PC that will be resting on top of it only weighs 10 lbs!

Forget the plywood...use a single sheet of acrylic bent to the shape you show:

1.  Go to Lowes, HD, or your local hardware store and get a sheet of Acrylic large enough for your combined dimensions (16X34.25...plus I would add about 1/4" for each of the two bends.)  I know Lowes will cut it to size for you...don't know about HD or the hardware store

2.  Stop at Harbor Freight and pick up a cheap heat gun...about $14.

3.  If you weren't able to get it cut to size, you can score it with a razor knife and snap it off on the line....google the net to see how to do this.  Or, find a friend with a jigsaw and a fine blade to cut it.

4.  Again, you can find instructions on the internet for making the corner bends with your heat gun in the sheet acrylic.

This would make for a very neat piece that you wouldn't even need to paint.
Bob
(09-18-2017, 11:25 PM)PSU-Stud-88 Wrote: The whole point of using the corner bracing is to avoid putting screws edgewise into 1/4" lauan plywood --- that would be virtually impossible.

3/4" plywood would be way too thick and sturdy for this project --- the backup PC that will be resting on top of it only weighs 10 lbs!

Enough aluminum angle to do this project is going to cost $15-20 because chances are no one here has any laying around. You can also bet that no one has any 1/4" luan so they would either use birch or go buy a full sheet of luan because they don't have that in handy panels at least not at my HD. Either way this will be $10-15 worth of ply. Throw in the hardware. You will need nuts, bolts and washers or to drill and tap the aluminum. This will either be time or $4-5 in fasteners. throw on top of that the hour you spend driving to get supplies, the gas to drive for the supplies and then the time to actually put the project together and $25 doesn't seem like such a great deal for someone does it? Take into account that most shops charge a minimum of $65-85 an hour. Personally I have never charged someone for one hour because by the time I get materials, do the work and deal with the customer I am into 2-3 hours. Given this you can see why your great deal for someone isn't being met with great fan fair. Save yourself some money on aluminum and just go get yourself a 3/4" plywood handy panel and have HD cut it up for you. This should cost you $15-30 depending on the plywood you buy. throw some screws in it and you are done.
Tongue 
(09-19-2017, 12:04 AM)BobW Wrote: Forget the plywood...use a single sheet of acrylic bent to the shape you show:

1.  Go to Lowes, HD, or your local hardware store and get a sheet of Acrylic large enough for your combined dimensions (16X34.25...plus I would add about 1/4" for each of the two bends.)  I know Lowes will cut it to size for you...don't know about HD or the hardware store

2.  Stop at Harbor Freight and pick up a cheap heat gun...about $14.

3.  If you weren't able to get it cut to size, you can score it with a razor knife and snap it off on the line....google the net to see how to do this.  Or, find a friend with a jigsaw and a fine blade to cut it.

4.  Again, you can find instructions on the internet for making the corner bends with your heat gun in the sheet acrylic.

This would make for a very neat piece that you wouldn't even need to paint.

This is an interesting idea because my original idea for this project was to use a 3D printing service to make this out of ABS, but the total cost would have been over $100 which is silly considering cheaper material gets the job done.

I will check out the YouTube videos on how to heat bend acrylic sheets -- if it looks easy then I will go ahead and give it a go.  Thanks for the idea!  
Big Grin
PSU? You live in PA?
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(09-19-2017, 04:58 AM)Dave Diaman Wrote: Enough aluminum angle to do this project is going to cost $15-20 because chances are no one here has any laying around. You can also bet that no one has any 1/4" luan so they would either use birch or go buy a full sheet of luan because they don't have that in handy panels at least not at my HD. Either way this will be $10-15 worth of ply. Throw in the hardware. You will need nuts, bolts and washers or to drill and tap the aluminum. This will either be time or $4-5 in fasteners. throw on top of that the hour you spend driving to get supplies, the gas to drive for the supplies and then the time to actually put the project together and $25 doesn't seem like such a great deal for someone does it? Take into account that most shops charge a minimum of $65-85 an hour. Personally I have never charged someone for one hour because by the time I get materials, do the work and deal with the customer I am into 2-3 hours. Given this you can see why your great deal for someone isn't being met with great fan fair. Save yourself some money on aluminum and just go get yourself a 3/4" plywood handy panel and have HD cut it up for you. This should cost you $15-30 depending on the plywood you buy. throw some screws in it and you are done.

Your price estimates seem overblown --- 1/4" lauan in a 2'x4' sheet costs around $4 at Lowe's.

I don't see how most shops wouldnt have a lot of 1/4" lauan or 3/8" plywood scrap pieces laying around.  Aluminum corner angle with holes can be bought online for $3.50 each and I only need two.  The trickiest part is attaching the corner angle to the lauan --- pop rivets might be the easiest choice.
(09-19-2017, 08:59 AM)PSU-Stud-88 Wrote: Your price estimates seem overblown --- 1/4" lauan in a 2'x4' sheet costs around $4 at Lowe's.

I don't see how most shops wouldnt have a lot of 1/4" lauan or 3/8" plywood scrap pieces laying around.  Aluminum corner angle with holes can be bought online for $3.50 each and I only need two.  The trickiest part is attaching the corner angle to the lauan --- pop rivets might be the easiest choice.

I quoted prices on the aluminum because I just bought some about two weeks ago. I didn't buy the flimsy 1/16' thick stuff though which is what you may be quoting. The stuff I bought was $20 for a 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 1/8" x 48" long piece. Let's take your numbers though. Let's say after fasteners and everything else you need you have $15 in materials. Even is someone just has material laying around they still paid for it . If they use it for your project it needs to be replaced for the next project. Now factor in the time and gas to get the aluminum and the time to drill and assemble everything. How much is 2-3 hours of your time worth? I'm guessing it is more than $10. I build furniture for a living and offering a "deal" like this to someone is an insult and is as good as saying your time is valuable and theirs is worth almost nothing. I see this a lot as I'm sure many of the other guys here do also and get really tired of it. Do yourself a favor and buy yourself a few tools and do the project yourself since it is so quick and simple.
(09-19-2017, 09:19 AM)Dave Diaman Wrote: offering a "deal" like this so someone is an insult and is as good as saying your time is valuable and theirs is worth almost nothing. I see this a lot as I'm sure many of the other guys here do also and get really tired of it. Do yourself a favor and buy yourself a few tools and do the project yourself since it is so quick and simple.

Yup. +1
(09-19-2017, 08:59 AM)PSU-Stud-88 Wrote: Your price estimates seem overblown --- 1/4" lauan in a 2'x4' sheet costs around $4 at Lowe's.

They aren't overblown. I assume you don't and have never owned a shop. Dave isnt out of line a bit.

The other criticism over your "quick and easy" design is right on as well. Its junk, and an instance of doing it on the cheap with cheap materials makes it harder and more costly. Not to mention, you wanted it finished, and matte black to boot. 

Ever pop rivet wood? Especially 1/4 cheap plywood?

Sorry, you are way off base here. 

Your best bet is to get a cheap pine board at the borg, have them make the two cuts and pound a few nails in the butt joints with a bead of glue, and spray paint it. All you need is a hammer. Im sure you have that or can find it. 

You're making this harder than it needs to be.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

You have no concept of the cost of labor. I agree with the post that said your request is an insult. I suggest you do this project yourself. Maybe you'll learn something.
>
Worse than ignorance is the illusion of knowledge.
>
The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim. - Gustave Le Bon

1/4-inch aluminum corner molding is available. I don't know where you would buy it locally but it's available online.

http://www.orangealuminum.com/media/cata...3860_1.jpg

http://case-ware.com/wp-content/uploads/...152806.jpg

Use 1/4-inch masonite instead of plywood. It's a full 1/4-inch thick and would fit tightly in the molding. Masonite is available in 2'x4' sheets at Home Depot and elsewhere. Art supply stores also sell small pieces of masonite. Glue the masonite in the molding with adhesive caulk.