Anyone use cardboard on turnings
I have been thinking lately that after sanding I may use cardboard to burnish the surface to a natural glow.

I have in the past used stiff cardboard to blacken edges of turnings in ebonizing it but that was all.

What do you guys think?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(09-18-2017, 04:35 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I have been thinking lately that after sanding I may use cardboard to burnish the surface to a natural glow.

I have in the past used stiff cardboard to blacken edges of turnings in ebonizing it but that was all.

What do you guys think?

I've never used cardboard. I would think the sharp corners where it creases when you bend it would dig grooves. I do burnish with a paper towel at fairly high speed. 2,000 rpm on a 10" dia piece, for example.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
Nope. Never was into burnishing of any type. I prefer to use steel wool to get the last traces of sanding marks out.

It's pretty rare that I don't apply a finish so burnishing doesn't have a purpose for my work.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(09-18-2017, 04:35 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I have been thinking lately that after sanding I may use cardboard to burnish the surface to a natural glow.

What do you guys think?

Kraft paper.  Same stuff paper grocery bags are made of.  Cardboard is too stiff, and corrugated cardboard has glue in it, which will scratch your work.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(09-18-2017, 11:45 PM)AHill Wrote: Kraft paper.  Same stuff paper grocery bags are made of.  Cardboard is too stiff, and corrugated cardboard has glue in it, which will scratch your work.

^^^ This.  No, it won't suffice for smoothing sanding marks.  The principle behind the burnishing is heating and hardening the surface, not abrading it.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

I was just asking.
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin

I always sand to between 600 to 1000 grit paper and was wondering if it would some how burnish the surface even better, but I will just try craft paper instead.  Some things I think would look great with no finish just a good sanding and a burnishing and it would never need a buffing again.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Something you might try, just for fun, is to burnish with the smooth back side of your gouge.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
I haven't done a lot of turning and haven't for years now but I always used a handful of sawdust.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
(09-21-2017, 07:17 AM)Large Wooden Badger Wrote: I haven't done a lot of turning and haven't for years now but I always used a handful of sawdust.

Make sure it's not shavings from harder wood used on softer.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.