Flying goblet
Hello fellow turners, I have been turning spindles for years, but just recently started turning bowls, and most recently trying to turn goblets.  I am
having trouble with the piece coming out of my g3 chuck  I check multiple times for tightness, but still have experienced the power of flinging chunks of wood.  I am turning catalpa, using a 1/2" bowl gouge.  Although I have been reading from theses pages for years, this is my 1st thread.
When I'm turning a segmented vase, I use the live center when turning the outside then switch to the steady rest to hold the loose end when turning the end and the inside. You don't really want to put a lot of unsupported side load on the wood far from the chuck. Assuming you are holding your piece with a dovetail, there isn't much wood to resist a big load.

I use the chuck by itself on a tall piece only when I'm finishing and polishing.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
(09-18-2017, 05:50 PM)almost retired Wrote: Hello fellow turners, I have been turning spindles for years, but just recently started turning bowls, and most recently trying to turn goblets.  I am
having trouble with the piece coming out of my g3 chuck  I check multiple times for tightness, but still have experienced the power of flinging chunks of wood.  I am turning catalpa, using a 1/2" bowl gouge.  Although I have been reading from theses pages for years, this is my 1st thread.

Is it flying out when hollowing out the cup or when shaping the outside?  Maybe it's just me, but I think a 1/2" bowl gouge is probably too big for a goblet.  You want a 3/8" bowl gouge or smaller.  The 1/2" gouge will have a greater tendency to catch with smaller pieces.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(09-18-2017, 05:50 PM)almost retired Wrote: Hello fellow turners, I have been turning spindles for years, but just recently started turning bowls, and most recently trying to turn goblets.  I am
What jaws are you using?  The 2" standard won't grip a tenon worth a darn, since it has no inside wedge to snug to a shoulder.  Use something like the so-called 75mm with the big wedge instead.  The "spigot" jaws just encourage you to overtighten and maul the wood into increasingly odd directions.  

I hollow with the piece between centers until I run out of room, personally.  Then snap the center pillar after snugging - not tightening - the jaws to cantilever.  Use of a steady is highly recommended, whatever jaws you're using.  Never try to scrape the very center bottom.  Too easy to cross over and fling the piece.  Ring or hook tool just fine, gouge on edge ( ok applied properly.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.