P trap losing water
A few months back I bought a house to remodel. It was built on a slab in 1982 and was built to HUD specs. The bathtub was no good so I removed it and the P trap (which is cast iron) had been connected using a rubber sleeve. With the tub out of the way I thought I would pour some water down the trap to make sure it drained OK. No problem with it draining, however water only stays in the trap for a day or two. Water has been shut off at the meter for months so there is no siphoning effect taking place. Where is the water going?
(09-20-2017, 07:17 AM)Overland1 Wrote: A few months back I bought a house to remodel. It was built on a slab in 1982 and was built to HUD specs. The bathtub was no good so I removed it and the P trap (which is cast iron) had been connected using a rubber sleeve. With the tub out of the way I thought I would pour some water down the trap to make sure it drained OK. No problem with it draining, however water only stays in the trap for a day or two. Water has been shut off at the meter for months so there is no siphoning effect taking place. Where is the water going?

Has it been very windy out your way?   I often see during windy periods that a good steady blast of wind over the vent stack will create a low pressure situation and suck up some of the water from our second floor toilets.   Won't empty the trap, but enough water loss to notice.   Perhaps the vent stack may need to be shortened or lengthened to move it out of a low pressure area on the roof.
“Poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten”
Evaporation. Put half an ounce of mineral oil on top of the water and give it another go. Where is this house? Where I live, I can get 1" of water loss a day in an open container. Not real humid here.

Also, since the trap is accessible, why not remove it and inspect the trap and rubber connection for obvious signs. Is this slab-on-grade? If not, a leak would be obvious. If so, look for moisture in the soil.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
No way a pint of water will evaporate in two days.
“It is easy to be conspicuously 'compassionate' if others are being forced to pay the cost.”  ― Murray N. Rothbard
(09-20-2017, 11:17 AM)Goatman Wrote: No way a pint of water will evaporate in two days.

I wonder if the CI trap is  cracked. That would sure let it empty in two days.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(09-20-2017, 07:17 AM)Overland1 Wrote: A few months back I bought a house to remodel. It was built on a slab in 1982 and was built to HUD specs. The bathtub was no good so I removed it and the P trap (which is cast iron) had been connected using a rubber sleeve. With the tub out of the way I thought I would pour some water down the trap to make sure it drained OK. No problem with it draining, however water only stays in the trap for a day or two. Water has been shut off at the meter for months so there is no siphoning effect taking place. Where is the water going?

Check to see if your bathroom vent is plugged or non existing.  Your plumping system may be using your bathtub drain to vent.
Phillip in SW Mo.
Siphoning would still leave a small amount of water at the bottom of the trap. If there is no water, you have a leak on the bottom of the trap.
 Take into consideration you could have siphoning AND evaporation going on though.

Or you have some very thirsty drain critters in there. 
Sarcasm

If you have a bit of access under the trap put a piece of white paper under it any leakage should be easy to determinde
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(09-20-2017, 01:13 PM)dazdougan Wrote: Check to see if your bathroom vent is plugged or non existing.  Your plumping system may be using your bathtub drain to vent.

Yes
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(09-21-2017, 05:48 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote:
Yes

How does that work when the water has been shut off for months ?    Roly
[font="Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,sans-serif]Save[/font]