Thoughts on collet chucks......
I'm basically a hybrid flat woodworker making furniture......but, I have a lathe which I use for spindles, furniture knobs/pulls, and items for the shop. I've become interested in collet chucks as a means of securing small turnings and am wondering what real turners thought of these items.

Thanks for your thoughts/insights.
(09-20-2017, 09:36 PM)rlance Wrote: I'm basically a hybrid flat woodworker making furniture......but, I have a lathe which I use for spindles, furniture knobs/pulls, and items for the shop. I've become interested in collet chucks as a means of securing small turnings and am wondering what real turners thought of these items.

Thanks for your thoughts/insights.

I use them on small items, works for me.

Al
Some people are like a Slinky. Not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy. Blessed are the peacemakers.
I use them and they work great.  You have to pay closer attention to the diameter of what fits into the collet, though.  Too small, and it won't hold.  Too large, and it won't fit.  If you use a collet chuck, go watch the video put out be Beall.  There's a trick to remove the item in the chuck.  Otherwise, you'll be struggling and think your item is stuck forever.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
A collet chuck is a great tool to have. not only for securing tenons of small parts, but also for pen turning. it allows you to change the effective length of the mandrel to avoid problems with a long beam length deflecting under tool pressure.
Cellulose runs through my veins!