So what are you working on?
(09-24-2017, 02:35 PM)Steve N Wrote: Danny, do you have a mix ratio, or just add till it looks good? Plenty of dust in the bottom of the bag, but if not enough, tips on getting chunk to smooth dust would be appreciated. Smacking it around just doesn't sound like it would make dust. I suppose a fine chop, cheap coffee grinder maybe?

I'm using powdered charcoal purchased at an art supply store.  I just mix it by eye, maybe 1/2 powdered charcoal and 1/2 epoxy.  The dried product is jet black.  

The tricky part if not having small bubbles in the dried epoxy.  After 4-5 iterations, I'm down to only 1-2 tiny craters left over.  I've noticed some on Youtube use a blowtorch to gently heat out the bubbles but I was too worried about damaging the slab with a stray flame.
(09-24-2017, 02:44 PM)Danny in Houston Wrote: I'm using powdered charcoal purchased at an art supply store.  I just mix it by eye, maybe 1/2 powdered charcoal and 1/2 epoxy.  The dried product is jet black.  

The tricky part if not having small bubbles in the dried epoxy.  After 4-5 iterations, I'm down to only 1-2 tiny craters left over.  I've noticed some on Youtube use a blowtorch to gently heat out the bubbles but I was too worried about damaging the slab with a stray flame.

I always use a blowtorch.  Heat gun on low enough to not cause 'waves' would work, too.  You don't want to get the epoxy hot, just float over the top to clear out the bubbles.  I plan on keeping track of the fill for 30 minutes at least to get as many of the straggler bubbles as possible.  Very seldom have I ever gotten them all.  

Also found plain old cheap black craft paint to work just fine for color.  Flat mixes better than gloss.
(09-24-2017, 03:15 PM)KC Wrote: I always use a blowtorch.  Heat gun on low enough to not cause 'waves' would work, too.  

Thanks Danny.

I wonder if you would have better control with a smaller flame? Culinary, Kitchen torch, whatever. Usually use butane instead of propane. A heat gun with no fan yes, otherwise it may be enough to lift the goop out of the crack. I have a cheap one, never knew they had fan speeds
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Photo 
Man, some really nice projects so far, ...AND... at the other end of the spectrum, I'm working on two more elevated computer desk platforms to help clear the clutter.   Built the one for the wife a couple years ago and now working on a couple for my computer and the printers.

[Image: Plat%202-L.jpg]

[Image: Plat800-L.jpg]

Mikeinkcmo
This thread is taking a really long time to load on my PC, but the content is worth it.  I'll say it again.  Wow, some amazing work you all have been hiding. 

John
(09-22-2017, 06:12 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: It's been a long while since I have posted.  The fall last September kept me out of the work shop for six months and then the new shop going up kept me busy "supervising" for several months.  Once the shop was done, I got busy ... building work benches, organizing, and getting the tools moved out of storage and into the shop.  I made a few projects to get my hand in.  A box here and a small thing here and there.  Then... I decided to try something challenging.  I made a presentation box for my Henry Lever Action in Curly Cherry... it turned out rather nice... 

Since I can only work for an hour or two at a time and then have to take several hours to recover, and most of my work is done from my chair... it took several weeks to complete.  (six?)  Then I started on the next project.  I was really happy with this one however.

Jim,
I really like your presentation box and the Henry looks mighty nice in it!  My wife and I watch a couple of Gunsmoke episodes every day and yesterday must have been "Henry" day because everyone on the show had one and they were shining like diamonds in the sun.  My wife keeps saying how nice they look and I keep saying that they probably look even nicer in person!  I've never fired one but hoping she might pick up on the hint!   
Winkgrin
Big Grin

Lonnie
I just recently got my new wood shop running, though it needs a lot of work before it'll be done. By "working" I mean I have power (110/220) on the walls and can plug in and run all my tools.

Current (immediate) project: The dining table I designed and started three years ago. Top is glued up. I'm working on the aprons' tenons this evening.

My 14 year old daughter and I are going to start making a small box out of some really pretty walnut I have. We'll make a frame and panel lid that will have a plywood panel that we'll veneer with some bird's eye maple that's been sitting around for three years. It'll be her first ww'ing project.

After that, an entry/storage bench for the missus and a hand tool cabinet for the shop.
Semper fi,
Brad

Lonnie,

Try wandering into Cabelas or Bass Pro's gun shops with the wife... they are beautiful in person. Available in calibers and a style to match everyone's tastes.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
My last finished project was a deck for my old trailer.  The deck was constructed from free lumber that I found on Craigslist.
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
(09-26-2017, 05:55 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: Lonnie,

Try wandering into Cabelas or Bass Pro's gun shops with the wife... they are beautiful in person.  Available in calibers and a style to match everyone's tastes.

I've got a Golden Boy in .22 cal, fun and cheap to shoot.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis