So what are you working on?
(09-22-2017, 06:37 PM)Dave Diaman Wrote: Hank, could you resaw that crotch into veneers and use them for the drawer fronts?

That's what I would be tempted to do. That curl is nice!
I am making a box for all my daughters stuffed animals. It isn't exactly pretty, but you got to start somewhere, and I figure enough paint hides a lot of sins.
A simple Greenland style kayak paddle made of a single pc of clear cedar, completed except for final coats of spar varnish. This is for a friend (to go with his strip built kayak) who did me a huge favor on something else...Also looking to make a laminated kayak paddle.  I recently acquired ~1000 lbs of salvaged teak decking from a 1941 Merchant Marine training ship...Making several adirondack style chairs/side tables, and looking for other ideas whilst it air dries in a neighbors horse barn. Probably 20% is unusable, but based on the results of jointing/planing and ripping, there should be some fibrous gold in that thar pile
(09-27-2017, 02:13 PM)Vic Batt Wrote: I am making a box for all my daughters stuffed animals.  It isn't exactly pretty, but you got to start somewhere, and I figure enough paint hides a lot of sins.

Thing is you are making something, that is far superior to thinking about building something. I think most of us went through a "paint phase"
Big Grin

Welcome to the forum, and keep making "stuff" Heirlooms come a while down the road for most of us mere mortals.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Working on restoring a surface grinder that I am going to use to grind my collection of handplanes. I just moved some pictures to flickr and cant seem to figure out how to post. Maybe someone could help. Here is a link.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/17594307@N...5456344992
BAT

A man wearing a helmet defending our nation should make more money than a man wearing a helmet playing games!
Working on my new shop. Spent the morning with the health dept to see where we can put the septic field so we know where we can put the house and will know if I get a bathroom in the shop.

Spent the afternoon grading and clearing the site. It was a horse paddock so lots of good "dirt" on top of a rock bed.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(09-21-2017, 09:16 AM)jteneyck Wrote: I'm interested to see/hear what you all are doing.  Step right up.  Add some life to the place.  

John
Hide a bed for my wife's "Road Trip" room.  The kids moved out and she reclaimed both bedrooms.  The front is faux barn wood from Home Depot.  The bed hardware came from a kit.  The small wood rectangles are the fold out legs.  I'm working on the trim, which we are doing our own barn wood finish. 

Not a new user, but someone who had to reregister.

Attached Files Image(s)

Slowly but surely everything is coming along. I'm on schedule for the most part. I still haven't started a pad foot tea table I want to build but I can knock it out in a few hours and I have until Thursday morning to wrap everything up

Here is the Queen Ann slipper foot chest finished up.
 photo 0CDA20CE-8BFD-46D7-A9E3-2E6F680DEBA8_zpsmrjffppu.jpg

The jelly cupboard just needs glazed and a final coat of finish and hardware. The hardware will be arriving from the blacksmith today.

photo 7FD52AFC-DCD6-4352-ACEA-FADB5FD45345_zpsfb2bbh5g.jpg

The chimney cupboard fresh out of the spray booth. I just need to slide in the shelves, mount the hardware and put on the beaded backboards.

photo BB286FDF-267D-49B9-A64B-B95C90314B23_zpscdhtw53u.jpg

The Highboy base and top in the spray booth the base is dyed, oiled and waiting for the spray boot and a seal coat of shellac. The top is ready to come out the be glazed. This one will be getting a destressed antique finish so the whole process on this one takes a little more time but it will look like an antique to the casual observer when it's done.

photo DEBD5632-45EB-464A-85E7-359E4A84D236_zpsahcfv6aw.jpg
 photo 3F5CD9D3-D45F-4E5D-9C2C-DC8D5A8122A1_zpsjyjw0gbr.jpg

Here is the top for the walnut drop leaf table. I actually hand planed it flat last night and got the rule joint cut. I just need to assemble the base, mount the hinges and finish it.

photo F50E947C-944C-4C9B-8EAA-B9C953F04278_zpsf4ehzgju.jpg

The other wall cupboard and the tables assembled minus drawer runners and kickers. The drawers are laying on the bench waiting on dovetails. Still need to glue up the tops.

photo 257E30C3-F906-467A-8EBA-FF66D58EA934_zpsj3yhog80.jpg
(09-30-2017, 10:19 AM)Dave Diaman Wrote: Here is the Queen Ann slipper foot chest finished up.
 photo 0CDA20CE-8BFD-46D7-A9E3-2E6F680DEBA8_zpsmrjffppu.jpg

Not meaning to minimize anyone else, but I love seeing your work, Dave. It's always jaw dropping and very inspiring!
I'm working on a rocker built from the plans Peter Galbert published in FWW, mine is in walnut from a tree my brother and I cut down and had milled.  I still need to final fit the rockers, peg the crest joints and apply a finish.  It was supposed to be for my wife to feed our newborn, running a bit late since my daughter just turned two....
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)