Compressor won't compress
My compressor seems to stop compressing when it hits about the 85-90 psi mark; the motor keeps running, but it won't build up any more pressure than that. It's a Craftsman 3hp unit, 15 gallon and 150 psi, about 12 years old. There are no leaks anywhere; drain plug is fine.

Any ideas what this might be? Has the motor gone bad?
You are entitled to your own opinions. Just not your own facts.
(09-21-2017, 10:05 PM)law_kid Wrote: My compressor seems to stop compressing when it hits about the 85-90 psi mark; the motor keeps running, but it won't build up any more pressure than that. It's a Craftsman 3hp unit, 15 gallon and 150 psi, about 12 years old. There are no leaks anywhere; drain plug is fine.

Any ideas what this might be?  Has the motor gone bad?

well the motor cannot be bad as it continues to run

is the compressor oilless or oiled? the fix is dependant on the compressor head design
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(09-22-2017, 07:13 AM)JGrout Wrote: is the compressor oilless or oiled? the fix is dependant on the compressor head design

And is it belt-driven or direct-drive?
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(09-22-2017, 07:13 AM)JGrout Wrote: well the motor cannot be bad as it continues to run

is the compressor oilless or oiled? the fix is dependant on the compressor head design

(09-22-2017, 07:15 AM)TDKPE Wrote: And is it belt-driven or direct-drive?

Oilless. And direct drive (from what I can tell).
(09-23-2017, 10:20 PM)law_kid Wrote: Oilless. And direct drive (from what I can tell).

No idea what you have.

Look at this.

Usually a rebuild kit fixes the problem...bad piston ring.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
(09-23-2017, 10:20 PM)law_kid Wrote: Oilless. And direct drive (from what I can tell).

That lets out belt slippage.  Sounds like worn rings (or whatever the piston in an oil-free type has) to me, too.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(09-23-2017, 11:09 PM)daddo Wrote:  No idea what you have.

Look at this.

Yep on the piston for oilless.  There maybe thin valves that open and close - I know on my oil compressor I had to replace them.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
(09-23-2017, 11:09 PM)daddo Wrote:  No idea what you have.

Look at this.

That's the exact model I have!  Thanks for the video.