Henry Disston and Sons saw vise
You'll feel even worse...I "picked" that Wentworth No. 1 for $10....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(09-26-2017, 10:23 PM)Treebeard Wrote: I often kick myself for not getting in on the $125 price when the TFWW vise was first introduced.

Put up a WTB in S&S, one recently sold here for a discount off full retail.  They are great vices, mine is going to pulled from my cold, dead hands (to coin a phrase!).
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-27-2017, 08:52 AM)Admiral Wrote: Put up a WTB in S&S, one recently sold here for a discount off full retail.  They are great vices, mine is going to pulled from my cold, dead hands (to coin a phrase!).

I actually have two Wentworth No. 1 vises, neither one of which I paid more than $10. They're okay vises, but I definitely see the value in the TFWW vise. I don't know Admiral, I suppose I could try S&S. I never thought there would be a realistic chance. Wasn't that one that was for sale a pickup only? At least I think it started that way and then it was gone.

- Mark
(09-27-2017, 05:36 PM)Treebeard Wrote: I actually have two Wentworth No. 1 vises, neither one of which I paid more than $10. They're okay vises, but I definitely see the value in the TFWW vise. I don't know Admiral, I suppose I could try S&S. I never thought there would be a realistic chance. Wasn't that one that was for sale a pickup only? At least I think it started that way and then it was gone.

- Mark

Oh Yes, the TFWW vise continues to serve me well.  I searched for a Wentworth for years to no avail although I was just a minute or two late finding on on Patrick Leach's monthly sale..found a good old Sargent and used it 'til I got the TFWW. I've acquired several vises of different type and size since then and use them when I give a class on sharpening. Makes the task much less daunting if one has a good vise, good light and good file.....so I keep a good stock of those items.

Don
Bill, the jury has decided for you. Forget the Disston and wait for Wentworth. $10. Or, $10 for the Disston. But, probably, the good thing to do is let some poor sap like me, without one, have the score. 

Realistically, a sharp trader not other than you, with 10 of the things rusting in a greasy dirty box will grab it.
(09-27-2017, 05:36 PM)Treebeard Wrote: I actually have two Wentworth No. 1 vises, neither one of which I paid more than $10. They're okay vises, but I definitely see the value in the TFWW vise. I don't know Admiral, I suppose I could try S&S. I never thought there would be a realistic chance. Wasn't that one that was for sale a pickup only? At least I think it started that way and then it was gone.

- Mark

Thing is, the TFWW vice is 14", one move for a full size handsaw, Wentworth is maybe 10", don't remember.  But Joel's design is exceptional, albeit quite pricey.  All I know is he separated this fool from his money!!!!    
Laugh  But I don't regret the purchase at all.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
In spite of the recommendations for a Wentworth, I now own the Disston.  $25.
(09-30-2017, 05:08 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: In spite of the recommendations for a Wentworth, I now own the Disston.  $25.

And, it joins the other 10 in that greasy box. $10 off was not part of the discussion. 
Rolleyes
(09-30-2017, 05:08 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: In spite of the recommendations for a Wentworth, I now own the Disston.  $25.

Well there you go Admiral...the market for the Disston 3D vise has been set at $25.00.
Laugh 

Seriously, if you dig yours out and decide to sell it, please let me know.

- Mark
I think I got my saw vise (similar to the Disston) for about $15 at an antique shop, but that's only because the dealer had no idea what the thing was. Once I bought it, I pulled an overpriced handsaw off the shelf of his shop and showed him how it worked.

$35 isn't a bad price for a saw vise in good shape. If I needed one, I would have picked it up at that price. But if you don't need it, then there's no harm in leaving it for somebody else to find. Or you could try offering $25 cash and see what happens.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop