Air compressor help
My old compressor's motor is finished.  To replace it will be about $350.00.  If the model and my memory or correct is a 7hp.  There is nothing on the motor that gives the hp.  The repairman said it was at least a 5hp.  Lowe's has a 60 gal 3.7 hp for about $50.00 more than the motor.  I use the compressor very little, so my question is what do I loose going from at least a 5 HP or maybe 7 down to 3.7 HP?

Like I said it is mostly used to blow the dust off, sometimes an air ratchet and a die grinder.  I have no air sanders but do have an air impact wrench.

Thank you
Herb
I'm supposed to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder for me to find one now.
Herb
the important part is the cfm,s if your old one has a data tag it will say
Also a 7 h/p is quit liable to be a 2 stage they typically have more cfm,s
A 3.5 h/p compressor will most likely run an impact and be capable of pumping tires dusting off parts etc
Thanks, that saves me about $400.00.
Herb
I'm supposed to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder for me to find one now.
Keep in mind an old compressor also will have some rust damage on the inside of the tank due to moisture. I'd opt for the new one even though I hate to be part of the disposable nation. I'd rather have the peace of mind knowing that I'd be starting over with a new tank. My compressor still works but it's about 20 years old. I've been considering getting a new one. Mine is 12 gallon and the compressor pretty noisy. I'd like to get something that can run my impact gun for more than 2 lug nuts at a time.... some day.