Curly ash question
Hey guys. I scored a ton of this curly ash that I'm going to turn into turning blanks to sell eventually. My question is about the moisture content. Right now they are 20-25% moisture content. Would turners in general rather have them at the current MC or prefer dry? I always turn dry material but I'm turning for furniture which is a whole different animal.
 photo CDFA63D7-61C3-4136-9547-03AEBBA73C3D_zps5zravren.jpg
That is some nice wood for sure.

To me I really do not care what the MC is and would let it dry for a while when I had other things to make.  That also would be great for bowls and vases to.

Bowl sizes that I like are 8x8x3 to 10x10x4-5
Vases I like are 4x4x8-12 to 6x6x8-12

If you had a kiln that MC is about 10%
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(09-22-2017, 07:56 PM)Dave Diaman Wrote: Hey guys. I scored a ton of this curly ash that I'm going to turn into turning blanks to sell eventually. My question is about the moisture content. Right now they are 20-25% moisture content. Would turners in general rather have them at the current MC or prefer dry? I always turn dry material but I'm turning for furniture which is a whole diff photo CDFA63D7-61C3-4136-9547-03AEBBA73C3D_zps5zravren.jpgerent animal.

Dave.
For bowls and vessels I think lots of turners prefer green wood so just cut and seal it and it'll be good to go.
I'd be interested in a couple vessel blanks. The sizes Arlin mentioned are good.
Mike
I also agree with what Arlin said. I like his choices for sizes, also.

Rick
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
I'm going to go pick up the material tomorrow. It is all still in short log form right now so I will still need to break it down into blanks. It's too bad the tree wasn't clean enough for lumber because the wood is beautiful. I'm not a big ash fan but I just couldn't let that wood go into a fire wood pile somewhere. My guess was most turners would not want it dried but I wanted to make sure before I started cutting and sealing stuff.
Dave how much do you want for it?  I might be interested in some for cane shanks. I'd need them about 3 ft long by 1 1/2" square.
Pretty stuff.
Rodney

EDIT: Bigger is good too. I can rip it here.