Best Clear Finish???
I'm turning some pens for a fellow retiring Fire Fighter. Been toying with using a torch to apply a light scorching. Got it looking the way I want, but I need a good clear finish that won't smudge the finish. I've tried some laquer spray and even played with mixing shellac and putting it in a pump bottle. Not convinced I have come across the best solution yet. Any thoughts?
Roger

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your rear tomorrow.

9-11 Never forget
(09-24-2017, 02:22 PM)firefighter Wrote: I'm turning some pens for a fellow retiring Fire Fighter. Been toying with using a torch to apply a light scorching. Got it looking the way I want, but I need a good clear finish that won't smudge the finish. I've tried some laquer spray and even played with mixing shellac and putting it in a pump bottle. Not convinced I have come across the best solution yet. Any thoughts?

For the last 3 years we have been using our air brush that I got from ebay for $24 and working great all that time.  I use acetone to clean it up and take it all apart each time and use lite oil on the needle packing and other things.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I use wipe on poly a lot,but you may run into a smudge problem.You could test it on another piece of wood and see what happens.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(09-24-2017, 05:07 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: For the last 3 years we have been using our air brush that I got from ebay for $24 and working great all that time.  I use acetone to clean it up and take it all apart each time and use lite oil on the needle packing and other things.

what are you spraying in the airbrush?
I shouldn't think but I'm playing around with red dye and a torch to give the impression of smoke and fire. May complicate the finish problem.
Roger

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your rear tomorrow.

9-11 Never forget
(09-25-2017, 10:10 AM)Wipedout Wrote: what are you spraying in the airbrush?

Sorry

Thin CA glue.  I also do not spray it in the lathe but on a nail that I hold.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(09-25-2017, 10:35 AM)firefighter Wrote: I shouldn't think but I'm playing around with red dye and a torch to give the impression of smoke and fire. May complicate the finish problem.

With practice, the soot from a candle will give you those types of effects and is much better than a torch that just burns..
African paduak is notorious for bleeding when using solvent based finishes like lacquer. To solve the problem I will either apply a hand applied coat first and rub out the bleed out or spray a couple very light coats so there isn't enough of a surface film for the bleed out to occur.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(09-25-2017, 03:01 PM)daddo Wrote:  With practice, the soot from a candle will give you those types of effects and is much better than a torch that just burns..

Nice tip! Never thought of that. Looking forward to giving it a try.
Roger

9-11 Never forget