Aurowa brace
I found a nice brace at a 2nd hand shop today.  The maker name stamped on it was Aurowa, Germany.  I Googled that and could only find a little information.  It looks like the Aurowa brand was manufactured by Albert Urbahn & Co. in Reinshagen Germany.  The company was in existence from 1879 to 1966 and I think the Aurowa brand was established in 1920.  That's about all I could glean from the web and Google translator.

Anyone know anything about the Aurowa brand of tools and/or Albert Urbahn & Co.?  The brace is in excellent condition.  All the nickle plating is intact.  All the mechanisms are crisp and solid.  I bought this, because it had a 3 jawed chuck, which will allow it to hold standard round drill bits, down to at least 1/8" dia.  and up to at least 7/16" dia..  

Did I get a gem or just a common brace that happened to be made in Germany?  Any info anyone might have would be appreciated. 

Thanks.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Three jaw chucks aren't common.  Lightly oil the relevant parts and try it out.  If there's no wobble, you probably got a gem.
(09-24-2017, 03:34 PM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I bought this, because it had a 3 jawed chuck, which will allow it to hold standard round drill bits,

I like Aurowa braces. But I fear a 3 jawed chuck won't help you much the power transfer needs this 4 square conus.
Might work for light work, but not heavy work.

Cheers
Pedder
(09-24-2017, 11:14 PM)Pedder Wrote: I like Aurowa braces. But I fear a 3 jawed chuck won't help you much the power transfer needs this 4 square conus.
Might work for light work, but not heavy work.

Cheers
Pedder

Now that you mention it, it may have 4 jaws.  I'll have to give it a closer look tonight to confirm.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Lots of outfits making auger bits and so forth with hex shanks. They're a perfect fit for a 3 jaw chuck.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories.