Do Garage Outlets Have to be GFCI ?
Do outlets in the garage have to be GFCI?

I had heard at one time that outlets in a garage had to be GFCI unless they were dedicated to an appliance (like a fridge or freezer).  Last year I installed two 20A outlets in my garage and dutifully put a GFCI in the first one so they would both be protected.  

Had a contractor show up last week to do some work and must have had a GFCI built into the tool.  It was a masonry saw, and even though he was dry cutting, it must have had a GFCI because as soon as he pulled the trigger the GFCI would trip.  I know enough to know that you can't have two GFCIs in the same circuit.  

I removed the GFCI out of the circuit so he could run his saw, but before I put things back, what's the official code on this?  Does it have to be GFCI?  

*** responses to this thread are sought after and will be respectfully considered, but may not have deciding factor in what I decide to do ***
Last I heard, the exceptions for appliances like fridges, and even loads not readily accessible, including ceiling receptacles for garage door openers, have been removed, meaning any and all 120V receptacle in a garage must be GFCI protected.

Edit: Since the 2008 code cycle.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(09-25-2017, 12:35 PM)TDKPE Wrote: Last I heard, the exceptions for appliances like fridges, and even loads not readily accessible, including ceiling receptacles for garage door openers, have been removed, meaning any and all 120V receptacle in a garage must be GFCI protected.

Edit: Since the 2008 code cycle.

Agree with TDKPE   all 120 v receptacles must be GFCI in garage.  Roly
(09-25-2017, 12:56 PM)Roly Wrote:  Agree with TDKPE   all 120 v receptacles must be GFCI in garage.  Roly

Yes 

Unless they were installed prior to the municipality requiring them.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

motors will trip a gfci. That's why they had an exception for refrigerators.  I am trying to think of a reason why you can't string a whole batch of gfci's in a row. Certainly, they have to truly be in series with no parallel current paths.
(09-26-2017, 07:29 AM)EricU Wrote: motors will trip a gfci. That's why they had an exception for refrigerators.  I am trying to think of a reason why you can't string a whole batch of gfci's in a row. Certainly, they have to truly be in series with no parallel current paths.

Newer GFCI's are a lot better with false tripping as far as motors.      If the GFCI's in a string are wired as you said with no parallel paths (including neutrals) it is just a matter which one will trip first.  There have been some issues with the new self testing gfcis failing shortly after installing but I am not familiar with them.  They are supposed to just check the electronics but not trip during self test.    Roly
I imagine the cost engineering has something to do with early failures.  There's a computer in there, at least there is in an AFCI