Door Joinery
I am trying to build a 48"Hx39"W door for a display cabinet ... I am using cherry and it will have 3/4"X 3" stiles and 4" rails, enclose a single pane of glass and be hung from one (1) side with multiple hinges.

I need suggestions/reasons for the best joinery method. I have considered miters, saddle, M&T, half lap, mitered half lap, pocket screws, butt w/dowels or screws ... even sliding dovetails ... all of which I have done before but ... I have yet to build a frame of this size ... with glass ...

I am leaning toward pinned M&T but all suggestions will be appreciated ...

Red
You'er over thinking it, although I would stay away from the 1/2 laps on a door this size, I'd go with M&T or even a pinned through M&T.
I'm a journeyman WWer,

Every projects a journey man.

Mortise & tenon or saddle.
Wood is good. 
(09-25-2017, 10:09 PM)Red Sawman Wrote: I am trying to build a 48"Hx39"W door for a display cabinet ... 

I agree with the others on the M&T or Saddle, but I'd highly recommend making 2 doors of half the width.  39" width is a lot of door.  

Just my 2 cents,

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
Joel H.
[quote pid='7528527' dateline='1506412956']

I agree with the others on the M&T or Saddle, but I'd highly recommend making 2 doors of half the width.  39" width is a lot of door.  

Just my 2 cents,

Joel
[/quote]

I already have a cabinet with a single pane door this size ... nearly the same dimensions. It appears to be a hotel TV cabinet from before flat panels. The joint construction looks like it was done with a set of rail & stile router bits ... those typically don't have a very long tenon ... so ... I assume the rigidity of the glass will keep it from racking the same as a wood panel ...

Thanks for the responses ... sounds like pinned M&T is the way to go ...

Red
M&T, but consider a thru tenon, just to get that extra bit of glue surface and tenon length.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-25-2017, 10:09 PM)Red Sawman Wrote: I am trying to build a 48"Hx39"W door for a display cabinet ... I am using cherry and it will have 3/4"X 3" stiles and 4" rails, enclose a single pane of glass and be hung from one (1) side with multiple hinges.

I need suggestions/reasons for the best joinery method. I have considered miters, saddle, M&T, half lap, mitered half lap, pocket screws, butt w/dowels or screws ... even sliding dovetails ... all of which I have done before but ... I have yet to build a frame of this size ... with glass ...

I am leaning toward pinned M&T but all suggestions will be appreciated ...

Red
When made well, half lap joints are the strongest, but I usually save them for face frames. Seems like you could uses smaller widths and use two doors instead of only one. I advise a par of 19.5" wide doors and four hinges. Swinging out a 39" wide door on a display cabinet will likely be criticized as poor design. The hinges will be taking enormous stress, even if you use three of them.
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
(09-26-2017, 12:18 AM)ez-duzit Wrote: Mortise & tenon or saddle.

(10-02-2017, 06:53 PM)Edwin Hackleman Wrote: When made well, half lap joints are the strongest, but I usually save them for face frames. Seems like you could uses smaller widths and use two doors instead of only one. I advise a par of 19.5" wide doors and four hinges. Swinging out a 39" wide door on a display cabinet will likely be criticized as poor design. The hinges will be taking enormous stress, even if you use three of them.

Two (2) doors is not an option ... I will deal with any criticism ...

I'm not worried about the hinges ... it is the sag that concerns me ... I'll never get the glass to fit tight enough to cancel that out completely. The door may only be opened once a year ... if that ... once it's set up ...

Red
Life is what happens when you're not paying attention.
(10-02-2017, 09:59 PM)Red Sawman Wrote: Two (2) doors is not an option ... I will deal with any criticism ...

I'm not worried about the hinges ... it is the sag that concerns me ... I'll never get the glass to fit tight enough to cancel that out completely. The door may only be opened once a year ... if that ... once it's set up ...

Red

First off you do not want the glass to be tight at any rate so forget about the glass holding the door the glazing the glass unit can assist in the support but it is not a complete solution

Second decent and accurately constructed joinery no matter the choice is going to work just fine the key is to do it correctly: do not introduce any unnecessary twisting will yield a perfectly functional door 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy