Modular homes?
(09-26-2017, 08:41 PM)JosephP Wrote: I'd think that would be a better question for local real estate agents...
A real estate agent has an agenda:  selling homes.  I'm not sure you could get an honest answer from them and I'm not sure they have any way to compile the data.

I think Dwell has a responsibility to their readers to supply that information.  They are promoting the industry.  They have all the contacts.  They simply decided not to look.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
This article and many others online tell us modular home resale value depends on many factors but should be about the same for stick built houses.

http://www.modulartoday.com/modularhomeresale.html

Home values in my county have seen increases and decreases in tax evaluations. Land values for tax purposes have stayed the same. My home’s tax value when down but my taxes went up due to a rate increase. My home was built in 1982 improvements have brought it up to 1995 home standards.

Back when looked at modular homes own ten acres out in the county. Wanted 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths, but disappointed with salemen at this dealership. Wanted to upgrade bathroom fixtures, kitchen cabinets, and hardwood flooring, saleman did not want to work with me!
If go to sites like Zillow for this area will see modular homes listed with mobile and double wide trailers just like Oregon.
Bill
(09-27-2017, 07:48 AM)Wildwood Wrote: This article and many others online tell us modular home resale value depends on many factors but should be about the same for stick built houses.  

http://www.modulartoday.com/modularhomeresale.html

Home values in my county have seen increases and decreases in tax evaluations.  Land values for tax purposes have stayed the same.  My home’s tax value when down but my taxes went up due to a rate increase.  My home was built in 1982 improvements have brought it up to 1995 home standards.

Back when looked at modular homes own ten acres out in the county.  Wanted 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths, but disappointed with salemen at this dealership.   Wanted to upgrade bathroom fixtures, kitchen cabinets, and hardwood flooring,  saleman did not want to work with me!
If go to sites like Zillow for this area will see modular homes listed with mobile and double wide trailers just like Oregon.
We have a definition disjoint.

What you are calling a modular home, I am calling a "manufactured home".  I agree, once installed a manufactured home is indistinguishable  from a site built home.  Most of the construction techniques are identical.  The manufactured home has to be built to greater precision to facilitate assembly.  I would say that a manufactured home from a good company will be highly consistent in quality.  

These are examples of what I refer to as "modular homes" and you can see that "plunked in place" objection I made in these photos.

[Image: 2br_home_small_new2_1.jpg]
[Image: corrugated-metal-beach-houses-with-wood-...-40237.jpg]

[Image: marmoldwelllivinghomes1.jpg]
Appreciation or depreciation  You might check with a mortgage company/Bank.
They would know if something they finance, will go up or down in price.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(09-26-2017, 03:14 PM)Cooler Wrote: And one that is just plopped down:

[Image: casa-prefabbricata-disegnata-da-philippe...468951.jpg]

would ya look at that- theyre producing fancy schmancy solar kilns now!
(09-27-2017, 09:38 AM)tomsteve Wrote: would ya look at that- theyre producing fancy schmancy solar kilns now!

None of these modular homes are cheap.  Most cost more than stick built homes.  I would imagine that they use a high R-value slider.

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Sm...233391.php

There have been tremendous improvements in the energy efficiency, security and styling of replacement patio doors. Some new high-tech glass in these doors has an insulation value as high as R-10 and blocks the majority of the sun's color-fading ultraviolet rays. 
Your objection to the house not being integrated into its surroundings has little merit as it is not unique nor inherent to modular or manufactured homes.
“It is easy to be conspicuously 'compassionate' if others are being forced to pay the cost.”  ― Murray N. Rothbard
(09-27-2017, 11:38 AM)Goatman Wrote: Your objection to the house not being integrated into its surroundings has little merit as it is not unique nor inherent to modular or manufactured homes.

My objection is my objection.  It has merit to me.

But I do agree that there is nothing inherent to modular homes that would make it more needy of being integrated with the landscape.  But once having seen it done, (as in Falling Water) the other option seems like weak tea:  Not very tasty.

Here is one that is nicely integrated:

[Image: design-L-House.jpg]

This one is obviously not a modular home but it fits the landscape:

[Image: villatrendir.jpg]
[Image: ISinlbr432nc610000000000.jpg]
Modular, manufactured, mobile. Different terms with diverse meanings. A lot depends on which the seller thinks the buyer wants to buy.  One major difference, BOCA or HUD building codes or standards. BOCA tends to appreciate in value. HUD depreciate.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
Thanks for the feedback so far. Yeah, the nomenclature is confusing and stupid. I definitely want modular, which is basically a stick built house but form a factory -- not a tin box "manufactured" home. Or a genuine stick built house, but I'm pretty sure that would be even more expensive. And yes, I'd love to have Howard Roarke design a home that blends with the hillside, but my budget says no. (It might say no to the modular house too. We'll see!)

I'll follow up on the various links. Thanks much for those.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site