What are they called?
(09-26-2017, 09:21 AM)jteneyck Wrote: With the 1/2" thick ZCI's I make for my Unisaw I use regular screws.  They work fine and are easy to install.  

John

+1 I see no reason to make it harder than this.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(09-26-2017, 08:59 AM)DaveR1 Wrote: If you buy a thousand of them, you won't need to remember what they are called or where to buy them. You'll only need to remember where you put them.
Big Grin

Good Point!
Laugh
Jim
(09-26-2017, 08:59 AM)DaveR1 Wrote: If you buy a thousand of them, you won't need to remember what they are called or where to buy them. You'll only need to remember where you put them.
Big Grin

That is why I have 1000 of them.  I could not remember where I put the last 100, or the 100 before that !
Slap
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Maybe I'm not holding my tongue right when I do them, but I find any screw in object that close to the edges tends to shorten the life of a ZCI more than just using it. Saying that I should also say I use 1/2" MDF all the time. If I need a lift I just put some electrical tape on the top of the little foot casted into the saw top. Had an old saw? Can't remember maker, it was deeeeep. I used a wad of plumbers putty down in it, stayed good a long time. Gradually sawdust built up on top of it. Swap out was quick, couple of minutes to get rid of the old, couple of minutes to replace it.

Question, for those that do lift, do you do all 4 corners? Or just the back (outfeed) side? I just do the backs, trying for perfect flat can give you a complex, and all I have ever snagged not doing anything is the outfeed edge on narrow boards. Wide stuff just goes over it all. Same with the fronts, even narrow stock will easily slide over the front edge, more problem if your front get's too high.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(09-27-2017, 05:27 PM)Steve N Wrote: Question, for those that do lift, do you do all 4 corners? Or just the back (outfeed) side? I just do the backs, trying for perfect flat can give you a complex, and all I have ever snagged not doing anything is the outfeed edge on narrow boards. Wide stuff just goes over it all. Same with the fronts, even narrow stock will easily slide over the front edge, more problem if your front get's too high.

I do all four corners.  I generally use a #2,3 or 4 flat head screw from the collection of recycled screws.  I screw them into the bottom.  I cannot adjust from the top, so it takes a bit longer to adjust, but adjusting is a one time thing.  I get it very close to perfect, maybe low a 3 or 4 thousand in the front.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I do all four. Not perfect, but just enough to not snag.

One can use cut outs from aluminum soda cans too.
If two pieces is too high and one piece too low, try using one piece from a can of regular cola and the other from a can of diet.
Ray
Another way to do it is to apply wax to the tabs that the set screws normally set on,   then apply a glob of hot melt glue on all 4 tabs.   Press the insert down flush and let glue set up.   The wax keeps it from sticking to the metal tabs but is sticks to back of insert.    Works better than you would think.    Roly ( use a steel ruler or other straight edge spanning across opening to get flush )
I use tape to shim.

Is the word that you are looking for "grub screw"?
Big Grin

In that case, buy 5,000 in smaller box quantities and saturate the area.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(09-29-2017, 08:57 AM)Rob Young Wrote: In that case, buy 5,000 in smaller box quantities and saturate the area.

Rob you think like I do
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW