If I'm lucky I may get a few rulers, try-squares out of this
I'm buying this used item from auction...  if the little squares happen to be really 1" each, I'll have some nice 'pre fab' stock to make a few layout/ measuring sticks and such.   The little blocks do have full thickness so maybe I can resaw them too.

Chris
Chris
Well,....

The squares are actually about 7/8", so not really good for measuring sticks.  Still, I'll make something with this nice thick marquetry on the cheap.

Other stuff that came in the mail was not cheap, but just at the threshold where it can be fixed and flipped....

Have a great weekend!
Chris

Chris
Is that oak and cherry? Let us see the work when you are done, Chris.
(09-30-2017, 10:19 AM)hbmcc Wrote: Is that oak and cherry? Let us see the work when you are done, Chris.

It's a lot of different woods!   In fact the salvage tray bears a lot of resemblance to my favorite ruler.   Was hoping to make something like this, but the scale on the pieces is wrong.    So it may get used in some box-tops or something.

- Chris
Chris
Use it to scale,down pieces that are just a little too big!
Wink
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
I see, now! That would be a neat project! Thanks for sharing Chris.
Upon resawing the old marquetry proved to be more of a butt-jointed assemblage than true inlay.   It just all fell apart.   So the re-use of the many squares will be a little tedious to glue up on the new job.

Anyway, I've started preparing a dovetailed box, and I plan to use the 'marquetry' for an accent on a sliding lid:

Chris
Chris
That will look really nice, Chris! Thanks for the follow up.
Some 'interesting' diversions with liquid hide glue.

The dovetailed box's finish shown below is my 2nd attempt...   I've read many times that Hide Glue doesn't interfere with finishes.   However I swear there were spots where the glue-residue and a thin 1st coat of Tru Oil produced a green tinge.  I had conspiracy theories on 'metallic dryers' in the oil, combined with the glue, producing a "Spock's green copper blood" effect.   I ended up planing the whole thing down again and using a wiping varnish.

The box-top has been glued up and I'm starting to true it.  But I will give it a break for settling; I'm pretty sure it bowed up due to moisture addition in the 'inlays'.

Happy woodworking!
Chris

Chris
Chris, that is very striking! Kudos ... kudos!!