CARVING on a Teak Platter
So I turned another platter to do some Embellishing this time it's a 16"D Teak platter. I was wondering if it will be the same to burn as other woods since Teak has so much oil in the wood? 

I was thinking about Piercing the rim w/ a pattern and doing Pyrography in the center section. 

This piece is still raw Teak sanded up to 320 so far, Here's a few shots of me working on it up to this point.

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

WOW! Well I guess nobody has done any Pyro on Teak I have a pen on order and will be giving this a go I'll post to let you know how it does. I also want to get into carving and may do some of this as well on this piece any recommendations on carving tools? or knife?

Thanks for any help,

Bruce
I haven't done pyro on teak, but too much is made of the oiliness of a wood. it should burn the same as most any other hardwood.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Bruce
I have not done any burning and do not have the tools but I know Steve who answered has done burning and a great job to.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thank you guys I'm playing around w/ the burner now, I'll post when I've got something worth while.

Bruce
(10-02-2017, 03:18 PM)Splinterz25 Wrote: Thank you guys I'm playing around w/ the burner now, I'll post when I've got something worth while.

Bruce

I was practicing branding on a piece of teak and found it to be much more resistant to heat, as compared to other woods that I have worked with (walnut, cherry, maple, oak, etc)...
I was also going to say I really like both beads on it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(10-03-2017, 12:34 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I was also going to say I really like both beads on it.
Thank you Arlin, as you saw on the other site I've changed my mind and I'm going to carve a pattern on the rim of this project; I'll do Pyrography on another piece. By the way I ran a few test on the Teak w/ the new burner it works fine, it just wasn't what I wanted for this piece.

Bruce
(10-05-2017, 09:43 PM)Splinterz25 Wrote: Thank you Arlin, as you saw on the other site I've changed my mind and I'm going to carve a pattern on the rim of this project; I'll do Pyrography on another piece. By the way I ran a few test on the Teak w/ the new burner it works fine, it just wasn't what I wanted for this piece.

Bruce

I have a long way to go but thought I would show you progress photos as I carve this platter. This is only rough carving using NO power tools and nothing has been sanded yet. The tools in the photo are all I'll be using for the carving process. Comments welcome

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

(10-06-2017, 03:15 PM)Splinterz25 Wrote: I have a long way to go but thought I would show you progress photos as I carve this platter. This is only rough carving using NO power tools and nothing has been sanded yet. The tools in the photo are all I'll be using for the carving process. Comments welcome

Bruce

I've had a chance to put a few more hours into the platter carving, here's a few photos of what she's looking like now. Surprisingly this teak is fairly easy to carve and sand, I'm trying to find the best way to get the texture on those Acorn caps; I've done one set so far but not sure I like them.

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)