CARVING on a Teak Platter
(10-11-2017, 07:44 AM)Splinterz25 Wrote: I've had a chance to put a few more hours into the platter carving, here's a few photos of what she's looking like now. Surprisingly this teak is fairly easy to carve and sand, I'm trying to find the best way to get the texture on those Acorn caps; I've done one set so far but not sure I like them.

Bruce

Well I put a few more hours into this project; finished the lay out and out line cut & rough cut a god bit then I also did some sanding. I'm about half way w/ the rough out, check the progress photos.

Attached Files Image(s)

Looking good! Looking forward to seeing the finished platter.
(10-12-2017, 05:01 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: Looking good! Looking forward to seeing the finished platter.

Thank you Frank, It's going to take a while there's a great deal of Carving details & sanding then a few stains before the finish will be applied.

Bruce
Did a bit more carving this weekend; rough out some more and worked on details & sanded, you are not really going to see the details until the stain go's on: here's what she is looking like now. 

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

I like it.  In some sections it looks 3D
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(10-15-2017, 09:08 PM)Splinterz25 Wrote: Did a bit more carving this weekend; rough out some more and worked on details & sanded, you are not really going to see the details until the stain go's on: here's what she is looking like now. 

Bruce

(10-15-2017, 10:23 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I like it.  In some sections it looks 3D

Thanks Arlin that is the goal to get a 3-D look, it will even stand out more when I put darker stain on the background and may color the leaves to look like fall.

Bruce
Hello again everyone Well I put a few more hours into the roughing out process and finished the piercing part of this project, now it's on the the fine details and sanding. Here's what she's looking like now.

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

Well I was able to find time to finish the carving process and start finishing the details sanded up to 220 grit I've started considering the finish I want to apply, I'm not going to add color to the leaves as per my better half's suggestion but I will darken the background and the Acorn's nuts.
Here's what she looks like at this stage.

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello everyone Well I was able to get 2 finish coats of varnish on the Teak platter and still may add another coat; but over all I like how this project came out for my first carving embellishment.

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

WOW!  Awesome!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood