What do you guys think of this TS sled
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg0okMCN1XM

It looks like it slides pretty will but how about making sure it cuts a straight line correctly?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
If nothing else, it's unique.   Sawing from side to side would take some getting used to, I'd think.   I don't think the Idea would be adaptable to a conventional TS though.

Looks like a "pull yourself up by the boot straps" kind of setup, using a skill saw, jig saw and router(?) mounted on a piece of 3/4" ply, using what look like folding legs.   I'd think it would be an ultra low budget approach, good enough to do a fair number of different projects, if constructed and aligned well.   A definite space saver.
I think it solves a problem that doesn't exist for most of us.  His "3-in-1 Workbench" is his own invention.  He could have easily incorporated a miter slot on his workbench top but chose not to.  It would have been much safer IMO had he included a miter slot.  His measurements were with rulers and no square.  Huh?  He showed no procedure for squaring the fence to the blade.  Works for his purposes, but the more traditional sleds are much safer and more accurate, IMO.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(09-26-2017, 08:01 PM)AHill Wrote: I think it solves a problem that doesn't exist for most of us.  His "3-in-1 Workbench" is his own invention.  He could have easily incorporated a miter slot on his workbench top but chose not to.  It would have been much safer IMO had he included a miter slot.  His measurements were with rulers and no square.  Huh?  He showed no procedure for squaring the fence to the blade.  Works for his purposes, but the more traditional sleds are much safer and more accurate, IMO.
I think I will keep my Incra Fence that I bought and installed eleven years ago and two cross cut sleds that I made in my shop. Here's the fence, my saw, and the TS stand that Woodsmith published about 15 years ago that rolls around and then locks into place with cams controlled by toe bars:

I made a long auxiliary fence for it that I use on occasion for longer, precise ripping:

It's hard to beat an Incra fence. I'm glad that I bought it, and I use my two cross cut sleds all the time with it, but that's a different story. I think the guy that made this long video tried to re-invent a wheel for a table saw that had already been invented.
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
(09-26-2017, 04:17 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg0okMCN1XM

It looks like it slides pretty will but how about making sure it cuts a straight line correctly?

Just skimmed the video, but for a sled he sure went to a lot of trouble, and added complexity that I couldn't see how it could pay off. A sled should be a simple thing. If you add complexity, it should be a thing of beauty too. This looked more gimmick than functional. I still can't say I have seen anyone who has a TS, thus he's making as TS sled make the cuts with a jig saw. That alone tells me he isn't going to be accurate.

From the start all you  need is a rectangular piece of plywood, add a fence, and rails for the miter slots, put on a back fence. Saw a line through it on the TS. Maybe build a blade guard on the back side, and check the cut for square, adjust as needed, rinse repeat.

Arlin look at this video, he really goes a long way to make the fence square, and then he shows step by step what to do.. The sled you get from that is a for real sled too, no gimmicks at all.

I like William Ng's better, but Spagnoulo does a good job on his too.

Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(09-29-2017, 02:59 AM)Steve N   Nothing wrong with the sled.  You just have to have a place to put it when it\s not being used.  I don't do much cross cutting with a TS.  Primarily use it for ripping.The RAS is my tool for cross-cutting. Wrote: Just skimmed the video, but for a sled he sure went to a lot of trouble, and added complexity that I couldn't see how it could pay off. A sled should be a simple thing. If you add complexity, it should be a thing of beauty too. This looked more gimmick than functional. I still can't say I have seen anyone who has a TS, thus he's making as TS sled make the cuts with a jig saw. That alone tells me he isn't going to be accurate.

From the start all you  need is a rectangular piece of plywood, add a fence, and rails for the miter slots, put on a back fence. Saw a line through it on the TS. Maybe build a blade guard on the back side, and check the cut for square, adjust as needed, rinse repeat.

Arlin look at this video, he really goes a long way to make the fence square, and then he shows step by step what to do.. The sled you get from that is a for real sled too, no gimmicks at all.

I like William Ng's better, but Spagnoulo does a good job on his too.

Unless you have a really tuned, top end RAS you will see a huge difference between a well made sled, and a RAS, if yours has Sears on it then the factor would go up immensely. That said if you are satisfied with the squareness your RAS cuts stock for furniture grade projects, then you don't need to look for space for a sled. I've seen some really expensive RAS's in custom cab shops that did incredible work, and they were used for rough cuts only. Finish cuts were always done on a sled on the TS. Different strokes for different folks..........
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(09-29-2017, 02:59 AM)Steve N Wrote: I like William Ng's better, but Spagnoulo does a good job on his too.

Steve

I remember when Ng first shown it on Lumber Jocks and I downloaded it to my computer.  I got it down to within .00118 and he said well done, however it somehow got banged around and broken by someone else who used it and I wanted to do this to him.
Slap   I will build another when I get a chance but lighter to move to.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(09-26-2017, 04:17 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg0okMCN1XM

I like this one.  I would do some things different with the fence, blade guard and stop, but I like that he punched it full of holes to lighten it up.

I agree with the other folks about the sled Arlin references being a solution for a problem the maker created himself. It somewhat reminds me of Shopsmith. They made a multi purpose tool that was good at nothing. (OK the horizontal drill press is nice)

I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Regarding RAS crosscuts. Mine is set at 90 degrees. It never moves. I check all cuts with a square. I use templates to cut angles. I am very careful to avoid sawdust build-up along the fence and use a quality blade. I sure as heck use stops to cut multiple pieces to identical lengths. It is really handy cutting tendons with a dado bade. I bought it used more than 25 years ago and it is labeled "Craftsman".