What do you guys think of this TS sled
(09-30-2017, 09:38 AM)robert146 Wrote: Regarding RAS crosscuts.  Mine is set at 90 degrees.  It never moves.  I check all cuts with a square.  I use templates to cut angles.  I am very careful to avoid sawdust build-up along the fence and use a quality blade.  I sure as heck use stops to cut multiple pieces to identical lengths.    It is really handy cutting tendons with a dado bade.  I bought it used more than 25 years ago and it is labeled "Craftsman".

Robert, I also have a Craftsman RAS which I tuned to 90* using the 5 cut method.  Not easy to nudge that arm just a whisker, but it is doable.  It does a great job, and like you say, it can't be beat for cutting tenons and other short cross cut dado work.

I desperately avoid trying to cut any tendons on mine though
Angry .  (I know, it was a typo or auto correct, but I could not resist).
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Cecil: You got me on that one. I guess spell-check can't tell the difference. Fortunately all my TENDONS are intact.

I really like he way I can sneak up on the perfect tenon width because I can see what I'm doing.

I don't try to nudge the arm at all. Every once in a while I remove and replace the fence if things get off a hair. Generally the problem is saw dust. It's amazing where that stuff can migrate to.

R.
No even the Sears owners manual says if you pull it backward and your hand is in the blades path, you will cut tendons, and other things you don't want to.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(09-30-2017, 05:32 PM)robert146 Wrote: Cecil:  You got me on that one.  I guess spell-check can't tell the difference.  Fortunately all my TENDONS are intact.

I really like he way I can sneak up on the perfect tenon width because I can see what I'm doing.

I don't try to nudge the arm at all.  Every once in a while I remove and replace the fence if things get off a hair.  Generally the problem is saw dust.  It's amazing where that stuff can migrate to.

R.

Robert, I only nudge the arm when I do the 5 cut set up, to get that perfect 90.  Once I get it calibrated, I lock the arm and don't touch it.  I don't need to do it again for ages.  I will need to do that again this fall.  I recently moved and I have not calibrated my saw yet.

For several years I used my RAS like a miter saw and I was constantly moving the arm.  I have more tools now and I don't need to do that.  I set it up at 90 and leave it.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I also used a Sears RAS for years and it was a good tool.   What they won't handle is any thing other than straight pulls.   Significant side pressure when pulling through a cut will definitely cause a problem.

I now have a Delta 12" saw like the one Norm used.

Mike
(09-30-2017, 10:37 PM)Mike in kc Wrote: I also used a Sears RAS for years and it was a good tool.   What they won't handle is any thing other than straight pulls.   Significant side pressure when pulling through a cut will definitely cause a problem.

I now have a Delta 12" saw like the one Norm used.

Mike

TablesawTom gave me his 1954 Dewalt AMF RAS and I just finished rebuilding it after 2+ years and have not used it yet.  I still have to make the tabletop for it and then I will use it a lot.  I was also graced with a book that was written a guy who called himself Mr Sawdust and he did it quite well by explaining how EVERY thing works and how to adjust it as well.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(10-01-2017, 01:55 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: TablesawTom gave me his 1954 Dewalt AMF RAS and I just finished rebuilding it after 2+ years and have not used it yet.  I still have to make the tabletop for it and then I will use it a lot.  I was also graced with a book that was written a guy who called himself Mr Sawdust and he did it quite well by explaining how EVERY thing works and how to adjust it as well.

Arlin, you will like that saw a lot. Mr Sawdust was a character. Wally Kunkle RIP.....
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(10-01-2017, 07:35 PM)Steve N Wrote: Arlin, you will like that saw a lot. Mr Sawdust was a character. Wally Kunkle RIP.....

Ya that was his name and if I remember right it was Greenacres who bought it for me and Wallys Daughter who sent it to me and with well wish's to me and the vets.
The book has a lot of info and he has a great sense of humor also.  I was laughing quite abit with him.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.