Pellet Stove Pellet Storage
Question 
GF uses a pellet stove and I was thinking of building her a storage box to be near the stove for her Christmas gift.
Something like this comes to mind:

But I know nothing about pellet storage. Would a box like this work well? How large? What do you use?
Thank you
Ag
Wouldn't it be easier to just use the bag they come in?
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

Bags are 40 lbs.  Having run a pellet stove for about 10 years, it is just easier to use the bags.  Pour in enough to fill it, put the remainder of the bag bag on the floor away form the stove.   Dump that in when it runs low.  In the summer there is no big thing around the stove.  

Good luck, Tom
(09-26-2017, 08:04 PM)YSU65 Wrote: Bags are 40 lbs.  Having run a pellet stove for about 10 years, it is just easier to use the bags.  Pour in enough to fill it, put the remainder of the bag bag on the floor away form the stove.   Dump that in when it runs low.  In the summer there is no big thing around the stove.  

Good luck, Tom

Thank you.
Good data.
Ag
(09-26-2017, 04:21 PM)AgGEM Wrote: GF uses a pellet stove and I was thinking of building her a storage box to be near the stove for her Christmas gift.
Something like this comes to mind:

But I know nothing about pellet storage. Would a box like this work well? How large? What do you use?
Thank you
Ag
Nice design. I store my next batch of firewood logs in a box that I made for it that I fill and bring inside for drying. I added casters on it to roll around. You may want to consider that idea because the bags get heavy and she may want to move the storage box away from the stove.
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
A couple we know well, heat with both wood logs out front, and a pellet burner in the back, it's a toasty warm house in the Winter. They are truly in  the sticks, and have found barn rats have a great love of some wood pellets. They store the bags in the barn, and bring in one at a time. For both storage, and for bringing the pellets inside they put them into galvanized containers similar to this The ones they use hold a 40# bag full, and have a locking top so the handle is functional to carry. IIRC they bought them for cheap at Tractor Supply. Farmers use them to keep chewables away from mice, and rats.

Before doing so, they had a few rats make it into the house following this tasty treat. Since no rats.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW