What you do with .....
(09-27-2017, 05:41 PM)Foggy Wrote: Reminds me of a high school shop project [but not quite the same]. I don't remember the project, but the scrap was 1/2" cubes of mahogany. 2 cubes and a pen and there you have a pair of dice. When a teacher sees them and takes them away, no big deal. In 2 minutes you have made another set. Every teacher in the school had several confiscated sets in their desk. They finally decided that they had to have come from the wood shop and the shop class got a lecture. 
Smirk

Thanks for all the thoughts so far - no smoker MIke so that likely won't happen - although it made me hungty 
Big Grin

Regarding the cutting board - that's what the blocks were rejected from - they were undersize and inconsistent in width.  Undersize would be OK if the were consistent.  I rejected them because I didn't want to try and get them redimensioned because of the size - however, I am giving thought to some type of carrier board that I could use with the drum samder to get them all the same.

Angus - beautiful bowl but unfortunately way beyond my current skill level.

I am also thinking about small turnings for Xmas tree decoration  - if I thought I could glue them together lengthwise (end grain) without failure I could at least double the length but I suspect the end grain gluing won't hold up?

Keep the ideas coming.

Rick
Rick

Glue them into strips then resize the strips.  Easier than resizing the individual blocks.
Rodney
stack them open brick lay style with glue and build a lamp base.  Pre-sand, a globe of glue, one layer at a time and let it set.  No clamps.  Round, square, triangular.  No two alike.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Well just to bring this full circle - I devised a carrier sled so I can run the blocks through a drum sander (16/32).  Basically 1/4" mdf with fixed cleats on the back and side and a adjustable cleat on the front.  I am using a flat board between the adjustable cleat and a toggle clamp on the back.  I left enough room between the toggle clamp and the block to be sanded so that I could slide the jig under the drum with the toggle clamp on the outboard side.  Works like a charm.

Rick
Rick

Drill a hole in the middle, glue in a piece of dowel rod and make spinning tops from them.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
Christmas is coming...
Make some ornaments out of them

Attached Files Image(s)

(09-28-2017, 07:21 AM)Rick_B Wrote: I am also thinking about small turnings for Xmas tree decoration  - if I thought I could glue them together lengthwise (end grain) without failure I could at least double the length but I suspect the end grain gluing won't hold up?

Agree that the end-grain glue ups could be a problem during turning. So turn them first, then glue them.

Acorn birdhouse ornaments would work well in that size. One piece for the acorn and one piece for the roof.

You could do a 2x2 glue up and get a nice size for the ornament globes like above.

Then rip some of them into quarters for finials and top knobs.

As others said, they are also a good size for regular bottle stoppers. I would have to measure, but I think that it would probably take a 2x2 glue up to do the bell-shaped bottle stopper.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.