Worksharp 3000
Question 
I have a bunch of primary chisel bevels to grind.
Lots of work by hand.
Also want a quick method for lathe tool touch up as I turn.

Your thoughts on the Worksharp?

Should I bump up to the Veritas Power Sharpener?

TY,
Ag
(09-27-2017, 06:28 AM)AgGEM Wrote: I have a bunch of primary chisel bevels to grind.
Lots of work by hand.
Also want a quick method for lathe tool touch up as I turn.

Your thoughts on the Worksharp?

Should I bump up to the Veritas Power Sharpener?

TY,
Ag

I've had a WS 3000 for a number of years and it is my go to method for general sharpening.  It works well for chisels using the lower guide mechanism.  I've built a cabinet with a top identical in height to the top of the grinding plate and use it with a LV honing guide for larger stuff.  Don't know anything about the Veritas unit.
I have both the Veritas power sharpener and the work sharp 3000 I use the workshop 3000 for chisels and the Veritas power sharpener for plane irons both work well and I got a great deal on the work sharp or I would only have the Veritas
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
I use a WS3000 for chisels and love it.  For lathe tools I use a slow speed grinder with a Oneway Wolverine Grinding Jig.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
I've read some guys use one (WS3000) for lathe chisels, but it just doesn't seem like the right tool for that, at least to me. For those a slow speed grinder with the a jig (the Wolverine is excellent) would be a better choice. But for bench chisels and plane irons, the WS is a go-to choice.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I am very happy with the WS3000. The wide blade attachment (or a shop made version) allows you to use a honing guide which I find useful. Plenty of info on You Tube.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
Thanks folks for your wisdom!
Ag
Hopefully the new systems are better?

Tried one many years ago and immediately sent back as almost worthless.

Still rely on my Delta motor, temporarily clamped to my bench, with a cotton wheel on the left and a hard felt wheel on the right.

Any edge tool I can't shave with is dangerous.
A laid back southeast Florida beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor.

Wink
IMHO, for grinding initial bevels, a bench grinder with a good tool rest is the best solution; economical, quick, fairly accurate, and any resulting inconsistencies can be handled with jigs on stones or on sandpaper. Any bench grinder will do, as long as you take light passes and quench after every pass. Don't overthink this.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I love the WS3000 for chisels and plane irons but not for much else. I have a Tormek clone (wet stone) sharpener with a bunch of jigs and use it for just about everything else including: lathe tools, scissors, knives, etc.

If you were to actually compare the edges after sharpening I think you would find that the WS can provide a sharper edge if you use the finer grits and honing disc.

If I had to just pick only one power sharpening system I think that it would be the Tormek clone (wet stone) sharpener. Honestly, I think it's just more versatile. With that being said it's nice to have both.
Wink

HTH
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP