Star of David
My wife is Jewish and I got the crazy idea of making her Mother a bowl or hollow form with a disk at the bottom featuring the Star of David. Has anyone ever attempted this or know of a source of information on it? I've been Googling, but so far nothing.

Thanks!
Frank
Two interlocking triangles from veneer banding sounds pretty easy to fabricate.  Then bury under a thick finish.

This is the interlocking I was referring to:  [Image: 53e29fe86410377bcbf6b1033b91c1ce--jewish...ewelry.jpg]

And here are the veneer bands:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/venee...ack-2.aspx

[Image: inlaysd.jpg]
So it is just 6 identical strips glued up.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(09-27-2017, 02:02 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: My wife is Jewish and I got the crazy idea of making her Mother a bowl or hollow form with a disk at the bottom featuring the Star of David. Has anyone ever attempted this or know of a source of information on it? I've been Googling, but so far nothing.

Thanks!
Frank

I made a cutting board for challah in which I routed the star of David, and then used a contrasting wood for the inlay. I routed to a depth of about 1/2". 

If you made a flat bottom with a thick piece of wood, rout and inlay to form the star, then turn the bowl with the bottom open for the inlaid piece to fit into, you might have something. I've never done it on a turning, so ymmv.
(09-27-2017, 10:09 PM)EdW Wrote: I made a cutting board for challah in which I routed the star of David, and then used a contrasting wood for the inlay. I routed to a depth of about 1/2". 

If you made a flat bottom with a thick piece of wood, rout and inlay to form the star, then turn the bowl with the bottom open for the inlaid piece to fit into, you might have something. I've never done it on a turning, so ymmv.

I've been thinking about it a little more and I think your idea is the way to go Ed. My intention was to make it to use as a floating disk for the bottom of the vessel. I guess I've just been overthinking it!
Smile
(09-28-2017, 08:12 AM)FrankAtl Wrote: I've been thinking about it a little more and I think your idea is the way to go Ed. My intention was to make it to use as a floating disk for the bottom of the vessel. I guess I've just been overthinking it!
Smile
I made this vase with a floating bottom.

[Image: vasediamond3.jpg]

[Image: vasediamond1.jpg]

and this egg with a 6 point star

[Image: eggbox8.jpg]

[Image: eggstand2.jpg]

Seeing how the star of David is designed I would agree with Ed, inlay would be the simplest , not that one couldn't do it with segments but the effect would be the same possibly better inlaid .
Just make sure it's thick enough for turning
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
Beautiful work Woodshop! Inlay is the way I'm going to go. A regular star is easy to do with inlay but this star has been hard to figure out.
You could embellish the star on the bowl with a wood burning tool.

You could also take an appropriately sized medallion to a laser engraver and then inlay it into the bowl.
Frank - draw the two equilateral triangles that make up the star on the board for the bottom. When you overlay one triangle on the other, make sure that all the dimensions are symmetrical. Clamp a straight edge for each line of both stars for the router to move along.