High vise maker
I'm thinking of getting Benchcrafted's high vise, but would like to compare it with another version, which is made by a guy who I think lives in England, before I pull the trigger.  I was thinking of buying the other a few years ago, and even corresponded with the guy, but I can't remember his name.  Anyone have a name?

Thanks,
Tony
Could it be the 'Douglas Coates' 'Ad-Vice'
(09-27-2017, 06:35 PM)Tony (Charleston WV) Wrote: I'm thinking of getting Benchcrafted's high vise, but would like to compare it with another version, which is made by a guy who I think lives in England, before I pull the trigger.  I was thinking of buying the other a few years ago, and even corresponded with the guy, but I can't remember his name.  Anyone have a name?

Thanks,

I've been using an early prototype version of the BenchCrafted high vise for several years now. I really don't know how I would work without it. The newer version is an improved version of the one I have. You won't do better than the BenchCrafted product. As a disclaimer I am friends with the BenchCrafted guys. That aside they make nothing but top quality products. 

Ron
"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/
(09-27-2017, 09:13 PM)knockknock Wrote: Could it be the 'Douglas Coates' 'Ad-Vice'

knockknock:  (Who's there?  Pretty lame, right?)

That's the guy.  If he's still making/selling his vise, he sure is doing a good job of making it dang near impossible to do it.

" Ron Brese:

I've been using an early prototype version of the BenchCrafted high vise for several years now. I really don't know how I would work without it. The newer version is an improved version of the one I have. You won't do better than the BenchCrafted product. As a disclaimer I am friends with the BenchCrafted guys. That aside they make nothing but top quality products." 

Hi Ron:

I agree that the BC folks make great stuff.  I have a few of their tools and bench appliances (I'm going to put together the miter jack by Christmas if it kills me) and I'm happy with all of the them, and with their customer service. I just thought it would be useful to have something to compare with the BC offering. (Sorta like due diligence.) I try to cry only once when I can, which is why I'll by the BC vise, and why I bought one of those big honkin' infills (formerly a "big smoother" IIRC) made by some guy in Arkansas, or maybe it was Alabama, or maybe GA.  Can't tell those southern folks apart some times.  (And BTW, West Virginia is mid-Atlantic.)  
Wink
Tony
(09-28-2017, 07:55 PM)Tony (Charleston WV) Wrote: knockknock:  (Who's there?  Pretty lame, right?)

That's the guy.  If he's still making/selling his vise, he sure is doing a good job of making it dang near impossible to do it.

" Ron Brese:

I've been using an early prototype version of the BenchCrafted high vise for several years now. I really don't know how I would work without it. The newer version is an improved version of the one I have. You won't do better than the BenchCrafted product. As a disclaimer I am friends with the BenchCrafted guys. That aside they make nothing but top quality products." 

Hi Ron:

I agree that Jameel and his band of elves make great stuff.  I have a small group of their stuff (I'm going to put together the miter jack by Christmas if it kills me) and I'm happy with all of the them, and with their customer service. I just thought it would be useful to have something to compare with the BC offering. (Sorta like due diligence.) I try to cry only once when I can, which is why I'll by the BC vise, and why I bought one of those big honkin' infills (formerly a "big smoother" IIRC) made by some guy in Arkansas, or maybe it was Alabama, or maybe GA.  Can't tell those southern folks apart some times.  (And BTW, West Virginia is mid-Atlantic.)  
Wink

Oh yes, the mitre jack. I could use one of those.

Ron
"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/