Sketch-Up....
(09-29-2017, 09:16 PM)Danny in Houston Wrote: I was hoping to click the underlined book titles and be taken to a link where I could buy an electronic copy of the book, but the underlined book titles in your post were not hyperlinks...

Try the link under his name.
(09-29-2017, 09:16 PM)Danny in Houston Wrote: I was hoping to click the underlined book titles and be taken to a link where I could buy an electronic copy of the book, but the underlined book titles in your post were not hyperlinks.  So I searched and found the books on Amazon, only available on DVD format for $39.95.  So I just passed.

Just wanted to provide some marketing feedback.  You had me, but it became too much trouble.

So back to paper and pencil, maybe one day I'll put forth the effort.

I've been a part of this forum almost from the beginning (my old profile disappeared in the software upgrade), and I don't consider my participation as "marketing". I'm a woodworker first and foremost, I just happen to have written a bunch of stuff. I feel a little guilty whenever I mention one of my books, and I don't think it would be in good taste to throw in direct links to product pages on my website. My personal limit is to only mention one of my books if it is a relevant answer to a posted question, and I always thought that the link following my signature or the website link would get someone where they wanted to go.
Bob Lang
ReadWatchDo.com
Personally, I just messed around with it. That's my preferred method. Then I Goggle when I get stuck. The key thing that someone posted already is "learning to think like the machine " and you'll get it. This is especially true for SketchUp.
I have been using Sketchlist as opposed to Sketchup. Not free, but reasonably priced at the intro levels and you can download a free trial version to practice on.

What sets Sketchlist apart from other CAD programs (I have used most over the years) is that it works like you do in the shop. You start with a board of a given size and then cut, drill, or otherwise process it. Other boards are processed and there assembled together.

It works in 3D from the beginning and can create high quality 3D renderings for proposals and such. 

www.sketchlist.com
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I self thought myself but DaveR is the man at it. I suggest you follow his advice.
(09-29-2017, 09:04 AM)Bob Lang Wrote: ...I taught my coworkers at PopWood how to use it, and began teaching SketchUp classes...

In 2010, I wrote and published a digital book called "Woodworker's Guide to SketchUp" in pdf format with embedded videos. In 2015 I released a revised version, the "New Woodworkers Guide to SketchUp"

Wow. Bob Lang from Popular Woodworking! I thought I recognized the name. I have a few of your books. Great to have you here, Bob. 
Cool
(09-30-2017, 09:19 AM)Bob Lang Wrote: I've been a part of this forum almost from the beginning (my old profile disappeared in the software upgrade), and I don't consider my participation as "marketing". I'm a woodworker first and foremost, I just happen to have written a bunch of stuff. I feel a little guilty whenever I mention one of my books, and I don't think it would be in good taste to throw in direct links to product pages on my website. My personal limit is to only mention one of my books if it is a relevant answer to a posted question, and I always thought that the link following my signature or the website link would get someone where they wanted to go.

Hey Bob sorry my reply sounded rude, I don't come across as a nice guy in print, just trying to communicate stuff.  I'm actually going to buy your training, I've changed my mind, I need to learn Sketchup too.  It will help my marketing mostly LOL.
Danny, I expect you'll find SketchUp is a big help with your marketing and when dealing with your customers. Since you'd be getting the Pro version, make sure to have a look at LayOut while you're running through the 30 day trial. You'll also find that to be very useful when you create any sort of documents from your SketchUp models. Everything from proposals and presentations to construction plans can be done in LayOut.
(10-09-2017, 06:59 PM)Danny in Houston Wrote: Hey Bob sorry my reply sounded rude, I don't come across as a nice guy in print, just trying to communicate stuff.  I'm actually going to buy your training, I've changed my mind, I need to learn Sketchup too.  It will help my marketing mostly LOL.

No problem. One of the best things about SketchUp is that one program lets you design, engineer, problem solve, show what things will look like when you're done and impress you customers.
Bob Lang
ReadWatchDo.com