I tried a shoulder plane...and I liked it.
Thumbs Up 
On my Christmas list last year was a shoulder plane.  I had never used one, but knew that if I truly wanted to get into hand planes more, I would need one.

Well, that happened this past weekend.  I cut tenons for some table aprons on my table saw (just *slightly* oversized) and then brought each down to a perfect fit with its matching mortise with the plane.  It's a Stanley 92.  Straight out of the box, wiped off with some mineral spirits, and it cut like a champ.  I'm sure that when I fine tune the blade it'll cut even better, but I was impressed.

So, thanks to you guys for planting the idea in my head that a woodworker needs hand tools as much, if not more than power tools.
Semper fi,
Brad

Wait til you try a router plane.
Or a plow for a couple quick grooves.  No router scream and chips everywhere.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(09-29-2017, 12:37 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: On my Christmas list last year was a shoulder plane.  I had never used one, but knew that if I truly wanted to get into hand planes more, I would need one.

Well, that happened this past weekend.  I cut tenons for some table aprons on my table saw (just *slightly* oversized) and then brought each down to a perfect fit with its matching mortise with the plane.  It's a Stanley 92.  Straight out of the box, wiped off with some mineral spirits, and it cut like a champ.  I'm sure that when I fine tune the blade it'll cut even better, but I was impressed.

So, thanks to you guys for planting the idea in my head that a woodworker needs hand tools as much, if not more than power tools.

Assuming that you have the "new" Stanley 92, you might like to read a couple of articles I wrote describing the tuning and mods made to improve its performance. It is a decent plane with a sturdy A2 iron, but it suffers from a couple of design issues, along with quality control gremlins.

Tuning Up the Stanley No. 92 Sweetheart Shoulder Plane – Part 1

Tuning Up the Stanley No. 92 Sweetheart Shoulder Plane – Part 2
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
Yup, it's a new one. I'll check those links out. Thanks!
Semper fi,
Brad

A Stanley shoulder plane was the first real hand tool I purchased, and also purchased new. I had no idea what I was buying. It gets used on most every furniture project I have done since, mostly to correct my many errors. I love the tool, and would not want to be without it.
Ag
(09-29-2017, 12:37 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: On my Christmas list last year was a shoulder plane.  I had never used one, but knew that if I truly wanted to get into hand planes more, I would need one.

Why use a shoulder plane versus something like this?  http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/lie-n...icker.aspx  Mine's pre-nicker, and no way to upgrade but full price, but for tenon faces it's the right answer. 

I also have the LV shoulder, but it's used for shouldering or smoothing half-laps narrower than the block.

Were I you, I'd make the router plane next on my list.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(10-01-2017, 11:22 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Why use a shoulder plane versus something like this?  http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/lie-n...icker.aspx  Mine's pre-nicker, and no way to upgrade but full price, but for tenon faces it's the right answer. 

I also have the LV shoulder, but it's used for shouldering or smoothing half-laps narrower than the block.  

Actually, for faces (cheeks) the router plane is the optimal choice for me.  Not saying it can't be done with a rabbet block, but I go to the router.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(10-01-2017, 01:04 PM)Admiral Wrote: Actually, for faces (cheeks) the router plane is the optimal choice for me.  Not saying it can't be done with a rabbet block, but I go to the router.

Picked one of these..last year...

Seem to like my Auburn Tool Co.  wood bodied one, better...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(09-29-2017, 02:21 PM)enjuneer Wrote: Assuming that you have the "new" Stanley 92, you might like to read a couple of articles I wrote describing the tuning and mods made to improve its performance. It is a decent plane with a sturdy A2 iron, but it suffers from a couple of design issues, along with quality control gremlins.

Tuning Up the Stanley No. 92 Sweetheart Shoulder Plane – Part 1

Tuning Up the Stanley No. 92 Sweetheart Shoulder Plane – Part 2

The mods you have there are beyond my ability and tooling, but if you're looking to sell parts, I might be interested in the future!

(10-01-2017, 11:22 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Why use a shoulder plane versus something like this?  http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/lie-n...icker.aspx  Mine's pre-nicker, and no way to upgrade but full price, but for tenon faces it's the right answer. 

Because it's what I have and my experience with hand planes is very limited.  I've been eyeing making a router plane for a while and will do it soon; first I gotta finish this table and then build a hand tool cabinet.  I'm really bad about starting six projects and getting none done so I gotta stick to it here!

As I get more acquainted with hand tools and my needs I'll add to the arsenal.
Semper fi,
Brad