1950's-60's flooring removal
I am trying to help somebody who thinks that because I have a bunch of tools I must know how to do everything.  He wants me to help him change his flooring and lay wood but I said hold on b/c it may contain asbestos. My question is if the test comes back positive can he put down his flooring on top of it. He wants some sort of wood. Real wood installed with nails. There is a basement underneath they use if that matters. In my basement I can see nails through the subfloor. Should I tell him to nail on top or is that a hazard too? I don't want to tell him to call somebody to remove it unless it absolutely needed. Would this be bad for the installer of the wood (at least in part that would be me)?
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
(09-29-2017, 02:28 PM)Scott W Wrote: I am trying to help somebody who thinks that because I have a bunch of tools I must know how to do everything.  He wants me to help him change his flooring and lay wood but I said hold on b/c it may contain asbestos. My question is if the test comes back positive can he put down his flooring on top of it. He wants some sort of wood. Real wood installed with nails. There is a basement underneath they use if that matters. In my basement I can see nails through the subfloor. Should I tell him to nail on top or is that a hazard too? I don't want to tell him to call somebody to remove it unless it absolutely needed. Would this be bad for the installer of the wood (at least in part that would be me)?

My father died as a result of asbestosis-related heart failure, and 45 years ago I also worked in a factory making asbestos paper (I would dump bales of asbestos into a "beater" to make a slurry of the stuff to go into the paper machine), so I know a bit about this subject.  The real issue is "friable" asbestos, i.e., airborne that can be inhaled, that's the real danger.  I would think that the risk is undeniably there, but in the low single digit percentile range, as when nailing on top of it, and the nails will be going through the new wood flooring, I have a hard time seeing how asbestos dust could project to the person nailing.  So, low risk.  Mitigation is perhaps putting down a luan ply layer, or better yet sealing the floor with spray varnish or shellac just to be ultra conservative.  I would not take it up if it has asbestos in it as it would be encapsulated by the new flooring.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
As Admiral posted, friable asbestos is the major danger. Nailing through flooring will not release enough friable asbestos(if any at all) since the asbestos in the flooring is in a mechanical/chemical bond with the other ingredients constituting the flooring product.

The nails protruding through the subfloor(if any) will have no impact on safety---unless someone scratches their hand on them---and then maybe a tetanus shot.
Admiral sorry to hear about that happening to your dad. I always get confused as to the seriousness of asbestos. I have a very old friend that woukd tell me how he used to, in his words, play in the stuff as a kid...i dobt understand how that would work 

Also, wouldn't thay beater you worked in agitate it to make it airborne? 

Thanks a lot
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
(09-29-2017, 07:08 PM)Scott W Wrote: Admiral sorry to hear about that happening to your dad. I always get confused as to the seriousness of asbestos. I have a very old friend that woukd tell me how he used to, in his words, play in the stuff as a kid...i dobt understand how that would work 

Also, wouldn't thay beater you worked in agitate it to make it airborne? 

Thanks a lot

I dumped the asbestos in water in the beater, so not really. At the time, they did have a dust collector system, so minimal airborne. I was very aware of the risk, and wore a heavy duty respirator, and amazingly was one of a few folks in the building that did so, even though they were issued to everyone.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis